China fan palm tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just bought 2 china fan palm trees, approx 2 ft tall. I re-potted them into bigger pots. Is there anything specific I need to do to them?

Sponsored Links
Livistona chinensis, they grow very slowly.

Location: Choose a location where they can get plenty of bright but indirect light. Avoid full direct sunlight as this can scorch their leaves. They can handle some shade but the growth will be slower. In the UK, they can be kept outdoors during the summer months but should be brought indoors during the winter as they are not frost-hardy.

Watering: Water your newly potted palms thoroughly, allowing excess water to drain out of the holes in the bottom of the pots. Then, let the top few inches of soil dry out before watering again. Avoid overwatering as this can lead to root rot. Under-watering can also be an issue so make sure the soil is consistently moist but not waterlogged.

Humidity: These plants like a humid environment, so if they're indoors you may need to mist them regularly, particularly in the drier months. In a garden setting, they would be comfortable in a sheltered, humid spot.

Fertilizing: China Fan Palms do not need much fertilization, but to encourage growth you can feed them with a slow-release palm-specific fertilizer during the growing season (spring and summer). Follow the instructions on the fertilizer packaging.

Pruning: Remove dead or yellowing fronds as they appear to keep the plant healthy and looking its best. Be careful not to remove green fronds as this can weaken the palm.

Pests and Disease: Monitor the plant for any signs of pests or disease. Spider mites and scale insects are common pests of these plants. Use a gentle insecticidal soap or a specific pest control product if you notice any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back