Chinese capacity bragging

Finally a full refund...

Their first offer was a 10% refund.

When that was refused, they offered a 30% refund.

When that was refused, they said to send it back at my expense and the would consider what to refund.

I then gave up and generated an ebay complaint, their response to that was to offer a 15% refund - half the previous best offer.

I told them what they could do with their 15% offer and today, they refunded in full and, for what it's worth, I keep the lamp.

Don't you just love the Chinese idea of fair trading?

I could have gone straight to an ebay complaint at the start, but I prefer to give a trader a fair opportunity to rectify an issue, before doing that.

Sponsored Links
.... I then gave up and generated an ebay complaint, their response to that was to offer a 15% refund - half the previous best offer. ... I told them what they could do with their 15% offer and today, they refunded in full and, for what it's worth, I keep the lamp.
I'm glad you ended up 'winning'!

However, are you sure that your 'full refund' came from the seller, rather than from eBay? - the latter is what one would normally expect if the seller responds 'unsatisfactorily' to a formal' eBay complaint'.

Kind Regards, John

However, are you sure that your 'full refund' came from the seller, rather than from eBay? - the latter is what one would normally expect if the seller responds 'unsatisfactorily' to a formal' eBay complaint

No, it came from ebay, who had set a deadline of the 14th to settle the dispute. I have rejected shoddy goods before, and always assumed ebay made the refund, then back charged the seller. I know Paypal used to always hold a few funds of a seller, in case a refund had to be repaid.

The email says...
The seller has refunded you GBP 6.46 for MR11 LED Spotlight GU4 Light Bulb LED Lamp 3W/5W AC/DC Dimmable Lighting. It may take 3 to 5 working days for the refund to be completed.

No, it came from ebay, who had set a deadline of the 14th to settle the dispute. I have rejected shoddy goods before, and always assumed ebay made the refund, then back charged the seller. I know Paypal used to always hold a few funds of a seller, in case a refund had to be repaid. The email says...
The seller has refunded you GBP 6.46 for MR11 LED Spotlight GU4 Light Bulb LED Lamp 3W/5W AC/DC Dimmable Lighting. It may take 3 to 5 working days for the refund to be completed.
Fair enough. That's worded a little differently from one I recently got (in relation to a 'not delivered' item), which seems to definitely imply that it is eBay who have provided the refund. Mine said ...

"Hi John, Unfortunately, we didn't receive valid tracking information from the seller. We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase.
The refund includes the purchase price plus original postage. A refund of £11.94 will be credited to your original payment method. It may take 3 to 5 working days for the refund to be completed."

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. That's worded a little differently from one I recently got (in relation to a 'not delivered' item), which seems to definitely imply that it is eBay who have provided the refund. Mine said ...

If ebay didn't receive valid tracking, that would seem to imply the seller had failed to send the item, so suspect ebay has done a refund and will chase the seller for the money. No dispute was involved, just none delivery.

If ebay didn't receive valid tracking, that would seem to imply the seller had failed to send the item ...
I don't think so, in this case, since the seller did not claim to be using a 'tracked' (or 'trackable') delivery method. If I recall correctly, it was meant to be simply (non-'tracked') Royal Mail.

I therefore presumed that eBay's comment that they "didn't receive valid tracking information from the seller" merely reflected the fact that no tracking information existed (i.e. it was "my word against the seller's", and they decided to believe me!).

Kind Regards, John

I don't think so, in this case, since the seller did not claim to be using a 'tracked' (or 'trackable') delivery method. If I recall correctly, it was meant to be simply (non-'tracked') Royal Mail.

I therefore presumed that eBay's comment that they "didn't receive valid tracking information from the seller" merely reflected the fact that no tracking information existed (i.e. it was "my word against the seller's", and they decided to believe me!).

I order things regularly from ebay and it seems everything I get is tracked, or at least the get the postie to mark things as collected, then when they are delivered.

By no means necessarily. It is very common for the delivery options to include "Royal Mail" and "Royal Mail Tracked", the latter being more expensive.

Prudent for the seller to be able to prove a delivery has taken place, it avoids the buyer claiming a refund for none delivery when an item was delivered. Even items I have bought for a pound or two have been sent RM 48 hour tracked, so probably much cheaper for a commercial enterprise to use tracked.

Prudent for the seller to be able to prove a delivery has taken place, it avoids the buyer claiming a refund for none delivery when an item was delivered.
Prudent, perhaps - but, as I said far from universal, with a good few sellers offering the choice between 'not tracked' and (for a higher price) 'tracked'.

Kind Regards, John

Prudent, perhaps - but, as I said far from universal, with a good few sellers offering the choice between 'not tracked' and (for a higher price) 'tracked'.

The only options I have seen on ebay are to deliver to a local Argos, or for a faster delivery, I have never seen tracked as a separate option. Other carriers than RM always track, no exceptions RM can accept untracked.

The only options I have seen on ebay are to deliver to a local Argos, or for a faster delivery, I have never seen tracked as a separate option. ...
One current example out of thousands (if not millions) .... Look at the first and last options - "Royal Mail 48" for 'Free', or "Royal Mail Tracked 48" for £1.99 (both with same estimated delivery date)..

upload_2021-12-13_19-27-8.png

Kind Regards, John

One current example out of thousands (if not millions) .... Look at ,the first and last options - "Royal Mail 48" for 'Free', or "Royal Mail Tracked 48" for £1.99 (both with same estimated delivery date)..

View attachment 254141

Kind Regards, John

The postie always stands at my door, with his PDA and scans every ebay delivery, to prove delivery before handing them over. I almost always order via free delivery, so always tracked and always they are marked 48 tracked. My guess - RM are charging extra for a service they are by default proving at no extra cost.

The postie always stands at my door, with his PDA and scans every ebay delivery, to prove delivery before handing them over. ...
Not ours - he does that with things which have 'tracked' labels on them, but not for non-tracked items.

Anyway, I've said all I have to say about this, and currently have more pressing calls on my time :) I remain pleased that you got your refund (even though 'non-delivery' was not the issue in your case).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back