Chipboard floor, problem and idea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI Guys

PLease can you let me know your opinion on the following problem -

My bathroom floor is covered in chipboad, I know this stuff is crap for tiling but it has to stay down due to
boxed in areas mounted on top of it.

I cant fit 12mm ply ontop of this as the floor level will be raised too much.

So how about the following -

Seal the chipboard that's already laid, Add 6mm ply (Screwed at 300mm intervals), seal the plywood, lay 400x400 granite tiles using BAL Flex two-part Adhesive?

What are your thoughts on this? or should i do away with the ply all together and just seal and lay the tiles straight onto the chipboard ?

Any thought are appreciated

Gav

Sponsored Links
Bal will only guarantee Fastflex on chipboard if it's properly supported underneath. That means that the chipboard is screwed at 300mm centres both horizontally and vertically - yours won't be. I wouldn't tile on chipboard with any adhesive. (Plus, fastflex costs a fortune.)
6mm ply is too thin to give the correct rigidity. Why exactly can you not go to 12mm ply?

There is a product called nomoreply that's 6mm. You basically glue it down then screw it. I've never used it so I can't vouch for it, but if their Mickey Mouse website is anything to go by, I'd stick with ply.

I used backer boards a little while ago over a chipboard floor for the first time at the customers request,they seemed ok and pretty solid when down.I am going back there soon to decorate the hallway and will update on the conditon of the grout and tiles.

I'm a little confused over what is a chipboard floor. Do you mean the course compressed wood fibre flooring or the greenish waterproof stuff that looks a bit like cork?

Sponsored Links
My bathroom floor is covered in chipboad, I know this stuff is rubbish for tiling but it has to stay down due to boxed in areas mounted on top of it.
Try to persuade yourself to rip it up and put down a solid WBP ply floor.

Deal with the box-ins or cut round them.

Take up the chipboard carp, green or not, unbox the areas & take it all up (assuming they are against the wall) or cut around them & fit minimum 18mm WBP ply, screwed down every 200mm

Tiling your bathroom floor is a job you only want to do once believe me, both from a cost viewpoint & the effort it involves; do it once, use the best materials & do it properly; you know it makes sense! ;)

Take up the chipboard carp, green or not, unbox the areas & take it all up (assuming they are against the wall) or cut around them & fit minimum 18mm WBP ply, screwed down every 200mm

Tiling your bathroom floor is a job you only want to do once believe me, both from a cost viewpoint & the effort it involves; do it once, use the best materials & do it properly; you know it makes sense! ;)
Substitute 25mm for 18mm and we'll be happy as Larry. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back