Choosing a new front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never bought a door before. I was just going to head into B&Q but figured I'd get some advice on whether there's anything I should look out for.

We currently have a wooden panel door with four panes of glass in it and a metal weatherboard.

The glass causes the hallway to feel cold during winter, even with a curtain so we're looking for a door with less glass to reduce heat-loss but we still want some glass at the top as the door is the only source of light for the hallway.

Can you get double glazed glass in front doors?

We were tempted by a UPVC door but since we can't afford to replace all the wooden windows at the same time we think it would look odd so we should stick with wood that can be varnished a similar colour to the windows.

Any advice?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
GRP composite doors are the strongest against burglars as far as I am aware and does a good imitation of wood (although maybe not varnished).
Otherwise a good hardwood door.
Double glazed units will be in most exterior doors as standard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back