Timber front door and side windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Firstly, let me apologise for my ignorance. I am currently renovating a house and all of this is quite new to me.

We would like to replace a double upvc front door with a more traditional timber door with double glazed glass panels to each side.

However, we have absolutely no idea how to go about this as when we have spoke to any builders, they always just try and sway us to a composite system or to block up the side panels! They seem to think that this would be more expensive but I don't really understand why ...

Would really appreciate any advice on where we can get such an opening - timber door frame and door with double glazed window panels, and who we should be speaking to ... Am I better speaking to a joiner, than a builder. The only reason we have been speaking to builders is because we need a side window blocking up and an internal door unit moving in the same process.

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/woodwork/timber-front-door-and-glass-panels.355364/#ixzz2L3LdbDA8

Sponsored Links
Would really appreciate any advice on where we can get such an opening - timber door frame and door with double glazed window panels,

I'm new to the forum so I certainly don't want to break any rules by advertising. We actually make traditional solid timber doors, frames & sidelights but I don't know if I can tell you who or where we are! :confused:

I may be able to help with your other questions. Composite doorsets are usually supplied pre-hung so are easier for builders to install. If they brick up the sidelights, it's even more simple (and they get paid for doing that work too). However, a good joiner would fit a timber door & frame with ease.

A solid timber door will struggle to achieve Part L compliance (if this is important to your local building control) however some planning officers are sympathetic if you are replacing uPVC with something more in keeping with the rest of the house.

I hope this helps. If I can offer any more assistance without breaking any rules, please let me know :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back