New front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had some quotes for upvc doors and windows around the house. We also looked into getting a new front door incl side panel. Three companies have said the composite doors they supply and fit would be too tall to fit into the current door by 60mm. They could only go for UPVC with wood effect.

Options appear to be go for UPVC (with one of the above companies), or find someone who does timber or another brand of composite door. We already have a UPVC porch (that will be replaced).

Any recommendations for the west midlands area?

Sponsored Links
How short are you after?
I have done a Solidor composite door at approx 1780mm tall, but it does limit your door design options somwhat

From floor to lintel is 1910 I think. Swmbo wants a composite door that lets through a lot of light.

That will be the issue although not impossible.
Foam core doors are out as they cant be cut down that much so it will have to be a more expensive Solid core door. Probably Solidor.
If you can find a local installer they should be able to tell you which ones are possible at that size, They may have to get in the Solidor technical size data sheet to confirm.

It would need to be a door without rectangular moldings on it so probably the "Flint Beeston" or Flint "Beeston GB" to have alot of glass

Sponsored Links
Some doors can be done smaller but they use a different make of lock for them so it will be factory specific. Some will only do standard stuff and some are happy to go a bit above and beyond the standard tech sheets.

Basically as long as it can be done without cutting through the glass/casement area or through a decorative molding it should be possible.
I know at least 2 factory's that have priced me doors under 1953mm and I have definable fitted one that was about 1780mm (Flint 1 I think it was)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back