which new exterior front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Building a new front porch, I need new door and frame, most of the UPVC stuff looks crap and can cost £600@@@ ! I like the idea of composite door but any ideas on where to find at cheaper than £600 (BQ) or should I just go with best timber door set I can find. any suggestions on a type/make to choose.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is there any certain design that you are looking for?

Thanks,

No particular style, just horrified at the melted lego brick look of too many Upvc doors and such flimsy construction

Sponsored Links
I like that door and what a bargain.

We are in the process of deciding what double glazing firm to use to replace all windows and front/back door but the front door options are not inspiring.

If we went with the oak door (is it engineered oak?) how would it compare to upvc in terms of drafts and security? I wouldnt be able to fit it so would need someone to do it. How much would that cost?

If we went with the oak door (is it engineered oak?)
You can always tell if it's engineered oak by looking at the veneer edging which is just stuck onto timber, a solid oak doors are more expensive and heavy, you get what you pay for
how would it compare to upvc in terms of drafts and security?
I would say upvc doors are more draftsproof than wooden doors but if the wooden doors are fitted correctly with the correct seals etc then it's just as good, a little drafts does more good than harm for ventilation against condensation, I have fitted many upvc and solid wooden doors, a good wooden solid doors wins everytime for security, have been a few time where the owners lost the keys to the upvc door, doesn't take me long to get in :eek: IMO a solid door with good quality locks is the way to go, even the insurance companies are not keen on the upvc doors ;)
I wouldnt be able to fit it so would need someone to do it. How much would that cost?
Best to get a few quotes and see their work elsewhere, sadly there's not many good carpenter can put in doors with the same equal gap with round the door, maybe I'm too fussy!

You can see my front door fitted with neat gap all round which I've posted the other day > //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2084318#2084318

Hmmm maybe I'm fussy :LOL:

How much is a solid door and is it carpenters or joiners I need to get quotes from

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back