Aluminium front doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a DIY question but we're looking at getting a new front door. Swmbo doesn't like the design of the current timber one. Composite offerings from local firms are too tall and apparently can't be made to smaller dimensions. Two companies have offered UPVC front door that can be clad in wood, and one has offered aluminium front doors as an alternative.

Any reason why we shouldn't go for aluminium?
Any pitfalls?

The door will be enclosed by a UPVC porch.

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with aluminum for doors. Only slight downside is that as they are metal they will always be a bit colder, If you have any condensation issues in your house you may find it all running down an ali door.

What height is your door? You should be able to get a composite in there, I have done Solidor composite doors at around 1750mm tall.
It does limit the design a bit and not all factory's are willing to cut them to non standard sizes

Nothing wrong with aluminum for doors. Only slight downside is that as they are metal they will always be a bit colder, If you have any condensation issues in your house you may find it all running down an ali door.
Hadn't thought about condensation. Not normally a problem but I imagine in winter with the central heating on, there might be some. Even with the protection of an enclosed porch.

What height is your door? You should be able to get a composite in there, I have done Solidor composite doors at around 1750mm tall.
It does limit the design a bit and not all factory's are willing to cut them to non standard sizes
1910mm. It was discussed here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/new-front-door.503230/

The problem is that SWMBO wants something like this:

front_door01.png

Sponsored Links
Ah got you, At that height they would probably have to cut through the rectangles at the bottom so it wouldn't look very good lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back