Experience on bifold doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I'm after some feedback on return of experience for getting bifold doors fitted.

I'm waiting for a couple of quotes to come back in, but I've some recommendation for aluminium and some for uPVC.

I was wondering if there are pitfalls to be aware of with either?
e.g. any recommended brands? questions I should be asking the company to ensure the product is good? etc

I'm guessing wood is an option also, but Alu and uPVC seemed to be the preference offered.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
ali will be quite a bit dearer, upvc is pretty chunky so less glazed area. check what guarantee is given and which glass is used

As another fitter I would go with Aluminium and most systems are fairly good. I've used Smarts and Schucho.

Aluminium tends to be better as it is a lot more rigid than PVC so lends itself better to a folding doors which can't really afford to be dropping and bending out of shape over time.

Aluminium also expands and contracts much less than PVC in hot / cold conditions. Imagine a 6 panel bifold and each panel expands 1.5mm on a warm day. Thats 9mm by the time youre at the last door. This can cause major issues opening and closing on sunny days.

I hope this helps.

Just ask if you need further details. I was a senior manager for one of the UK's largest manufacturers of bifold doors so I could bore you all day long.

Sponsored Links
Has anyone actually got a definitive guide on the expansion rates?

I came across a website a few years ago that had the linear expansion of PVC, Ali and a few types of wood together (wish I had bookmarked the page :( )

Im fairly sure PVC was 1.6mm per meter but I think the site said both Ali and wood expanded more (Ali was about 1.8mm per meter).

Either way Ali is still best for Bi folds I would say due to it being more ridged with all the moving parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back