Possible to adequately insulate a timber external door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know uPVC and composite external doors offer a high level of insulation against external draughts.

My own timber front door and frame which I want to replace, is draughty. Though it has no features to prevent these draughts.

If I were to replace with a new/reclaimed timber door/frame is it ever possible to exclude draughts to reasonable extent? Perhaps approaching that of a uPVC door?

What products would require adding to a reclaimed timber front door to reduce draughts?

Sponsored Links
For seals to work properly they require pressure.

Modern doors will have multi locking points which provide this all round the door, to achieve the same with a 'basic' door you either put in more locks, or 'overpressure' a few locks (so it is hard to push the door closed).

Sponsored Links
Modern doors will have multi locking points which provide this all round the door, to achieve the same with a 'basic' door you either put in more locks, or 'overpressure' a few locks (so it is hard to push the door closed).

With a 'basic' door (vintage timber door), do these seals go right around the door? That is, right up both sides of the door, and perhaps along the top?

I had initially thought it perhaps only goes along the bottom of the door, but perhaps it would also go along the other three sides?

They go every side except the bottom.

At the bottom, you fit a threshold with some sort of rubber seal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back