Composite V's UPVC Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

My hubby and I are looking at replacing our very nice but extremely draughty solid wooden front door. We don't have a porch so the door is on an outside wall and our hallway gets quite chilly. I don't think it was fitted very well to begin with. It must be fifteen plus years since we replaced our UPVC doors and windows at our old house and I'm sure things have changed dramatically since then. We're looking at buying a door with triple glazing. If we buy a composite door would the doorframe be UPCV or would they only change the frame with a UVPC door? If we opt for a composite door would there be no draughts like UPCV? If I'm totally honest I don't really understand the difference and looking for advice if you could help please x

Sponsored Links
A composite door is a plastic faced door with a OSB timber interior, often enough whereas the upvc item will be just that, metal internal framed. They come with their requisite door frames.
Like everything else, you get what you pay for, but the correct installation is most important to avoid leaks and draughts.
I must say I do like the composite door, and have had no issues with mine (£500 B&Q, 5 years ago).
It is possible to get your timber door pretty well sorted though, but you can always expect some slight movement in the seasons.
I'd choose carefully, look for warranty and see what's on offer....prices from the big installers are surprisingly negotiable but there will be local fitters around.
John :)

Hi Burnerman,

Thank you for the info.

I had read such mixed reviews on composite V's UPVC doors and wasn't sure which was better. You say you have had yours for five years so they can't be bad and they look much nicer than UPVC. Think my front door unfortunately isn't salvageable. You can even hear the traffic through it and it has draughts coming through from everywhere.

So please could you confirm that you don't change the frame with a composite door?

Sponsored Links
You will have to change the frame too.

Composite every time but they cost more.

Ah Okay! So they fit into their own frames like a upvc door? That makes me feel happier. Thank you.

I also read somewhere to check what's inside the door. The article stated that some are filled with foam and not solid. Would I look stupid to ask a company what's in their doors?

As per freddy......the door usually comes hung in its frame, so basically you unpack it and unhang it, ready to install the frame in the brickwork hole.
Its vital to make sure the frame is installed square in every dimension, so there's an equal gap between door and frame all round, and the door fits tight onto its seals......get this wrong and it'll come back to haunt!
The door hinges have a couple of millimetres of adjustment for final fitting, and usually the door has a 5 point locking system.
Personally I wouldn't touch a upvc door - the composite looks so much better and hopefully you only fit it once!

As per freddy......the door usually comes hung in its frame, so basically you unpack it and unhang it, ready to install the frame in the brickwork hole.
Its vital to make sure the frame is installed square in every dimension, so there's an equal gap between door and frame all round, and the door fits tight onto its seals......get this wrong and it'll come back to haunt!
The door hinges have a couple of millimetres of adjustment for final fitting, and usually the door has a 5 point locking system.
Personally I wouldn't touch a upvc door - the composite looks so much better and hopefully you only fit it once!

I will be going for a composite door now thanks to the advice I've received but think I would ask the company to fit it. Thanks again for your help :)

They are usually either foam filled or a solid hardwood core.

The wooden core doors would be more secure but to be honest unless your expecting the police to be trying to get in with a battering ram a burglar is just going to be put off by any type of composite door and smash a window somewhere else or hopefully walk on to another house.

Solidor is a good make for the timber cores and Doorstop are good for the foam cores. There are other makes available but thats the 2 I use most.

As for fitters, Go for a local company (avoid the big company's). Try to get recommendations from friends and family, Facebook is good for this.

Gazman,
Thank you very much for the info. Now I know exactly what I would like. I will take a look at the companies you have recommended.

Does anyone know anything about a company called Yale? They are offering composite doors at a reasonable price interest free, £299 for fitting and a 10 year guarantee.

Yale as in the locks?

They do sell composite doors. The doors actually come from Doorstop but I believe they outsource the fitting.
You would be better off with a local double glazing company who employ their fitters full time, Most large company's use self employed fitters and pay them piece work. They get about £80 per door and £60 per window so its in their best interest to throw things in as quick as possible and get on to the next job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back