UPVC door too short in frame causing draughts

If it's any consolation you have helped me identify my door with its own set of issues. So thankyou!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the information, really appreciated. The doormat slides underneath with no resistance whatsoever. Apologies if I've misunderstood you. I've attached a couple of photos - the bottom of the door when is still approx 15mm above the top of the threshold. There's is a very small gap by comparison from the top of the door to its frame, 3-4mmView attachment 225016 View attachment 225017

The top of the door looks fine , so there is definetly an issue with the threshold
Did you see my suggestion earlier?
Unscrew the threshold where it meets the uprights of the door ( screws are in the black plastic ) , if you can get the screws that are through the threshold into the floor out , then unscrew those too ( as they will need to come out ) . I think the threshold has been pulled down , the bottom of the threshold should sit level with the bottom of the upright pvc, your first picture it doesn't look like it does. So if all the screws come out , try and prise ( carefully not to bend it ) the threshold up so it is level with the bottom of the actual pvc frame, I suspect most of your gap will disappear. All you need to do then is fill under the threshold , which you could place packers to hold it up or trim , then seal it.

This is only a suggestion to try if you so wish , and purely rests on the fact that the bottom of the metal threshold does not line up withthe bottom of the pvc vertical .....and they should

The top of the door looks fine , so there is definetly an issue with the threshold
Did you see my suggestion earlier?
Unscrew the threshold where it meets the uprights of the door ( screws are in the black plastic ) , if you can get the screws that are through the threshold into the floor out , then unscrew those too ( as they will need to come out ) . I think the threshold has been pulled down , the bottom of the threshold should sit level with the bottom of the upright pvc, your first picture it doesn't look like it does. So if all the screws come out , try and prise ( carefully not to bend it ) the threshold up so it is level with the bottom of the actual pvc frame, I suspect most of your gap will disappear. All you need to do then is fill under the threshold , which you could place packers to hold it up or trim , then seal it.

This is only a suggestion to try if you so wish , and purely rests on the fact that the bottom of the metal threshold does not line up withthe bottom of the pvc vertical .....and they should

Thanks very much for the detailed instructions Ronnie, I think you're right - sounds like a great idea to try and get it raised. Will attempt this at the weekend and let you know how I get on. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
This little mystery is perplexing me.

If the threshold had been dropped, I'm wondering if we'd see more evidence of this? For example when looking at the first pic posted, study the area towards the left where the bottom of the frame meets the threshold. It looks as though the frame overlaps the threshold slightly. So if the threshold had originally been higher, we'd see a bit notched out e.g. from the corner of the threshold. Otherwise it can't originally have been higher up because the frame would block it, if that makes sense? Also, when looking at the other pics, study the bottom right of the threshold area i.e. opening side of the door. Where the inner frame meets the threshold, you can see the bottom of the white section of profile. It appears as though it pretty much reaches the threshold and overlaps it slightly? So again, if the threshold was originally higher and had been dropped in height, we'd see a bit of it notched out otherwise it wouldn't have fitted higher up because the white profile would block it. Again, I'm maybe not making sense in type!

I'm not suggesting raising the threshold won't work, however like I say on looking over the pics again, it doesn't necessarily look as though it was ever dropped?

This little mystery is perplexing me.

If the threshold had been dropped, I'm wondering if we'd see more evidence of this? For example when looking at the first pic posted, study the area towards the left where the bottom of the frame meets the threshold. It looks as though the frame overlaps the threshold slightly. So if the threshold had originally been higher, we'd see a bit notched out e.g. from the corner of the threshold. Otherwise it can't originally have been higher up because the frame would block it, if that makes sense? Also, when looking at the other pics, study the bottom right of the threshold area i.e. opening side of the door. Where the inner frame meets the threshold, you can see the bottom of the white section of profile. It appears as though it pretty much reaches the threshold and overlaps it slightly? So again, if the threshold was originally higher and had been dropped in height, we'd see a bit of it notched out otherwise it wouldn't have fitted higher up because the white profile would block it. Again, I'm maybe not making sense in type!

I'm not suggesting raising the threshold won't work, however like I say on looking over the pics again, it doesn't necessarily look as though it was ever dropped?

All very valid points , but if ( and I do mean if lol) ) memory serves me correct on Permadoor/Safedoor thresholds such as these , they fit ' between ' the vertical uprights of the door frame and there is no notch/cut outs and shouldn't go below the verticals of the door frame. I may have an old sample in the back of the workshops to confirm this theory, I would need to check

All very valid points , but if ( and I do mean if lol) ) memory serves me correct on Permadoor/Safedoor thresholds such as these , they fit ' between ' the vertical uprights of the door frame and there is no notch/cut outs and shouldn't go below the verticals of the door frame. I may have an old sample in the back of the workshops to confirm this theory, I would need to check
Yeah I hopefully wasn't coming across as an ar5e, it's simply that it's intriguing me. I know the bottom of doors can dirty up quickly, however when I looked at the pics a bit more it looks to me as though the threshold's always been at that height. Of course I could be wrong!

Had a look at our old sample in the workshop, and as I suspected the threshold should screw between the uprights. Admittedly the pictures below are from a door before Profile 22 ( the company who provide the white upvc frame ), changed their profile to the new Optima, so the frames don't look exactly the same. But you should be able to see that threshold should be level across the bottom with the upright upvc, you can also see where it screws onto the upvx frame, and again that the rubber gasket is changeable, hopefully these images may help. 20210303_095655.jpg20210303_095655.jpg 20210303_095637.jpg 20210303_095637.jpg20210303_095625.jpg
20210303_095618.jpg
20210303_095618.jpg

On your pics I can see how the threshold would be movable up/down within the frame. I could be wrong, however to me it still looks as though the OPs threshold is slightly underneath the bottom of the frame at one side possibly both sides? In short, installed incorrectly thus leaving the gap underneath the door. I think, without seeing better pics, the OPs threshold might need bits checked out to enable it to be moved up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back