Draught from glazing pane, uPVC French Doors

Tenants can’t phone Housing Association every day to complaint, as we only get through to a call centre, that takes the complaint to be passed to relevant dept.
If anything is said during the telephone call which the call handler dislikes, your telephone call is terminated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes absolutely 'they' won't instantly leap into action. Persistence is the key. Find their required response time to any complaint registered (not the time to fix it, just the time they are allowed to take to reply to the complaint). Complain. If they fail to respond or are late, complain again and add their tardy response time as another complaint. Keep doing this. Once you hit the 3rd or 4th round of email tennis, start copying local councillor, MP into the game. Keep on complaining, it costs you nothing but time.
Although I appreciate your response and opinion but Please don’t advise on how to address
I’ve had local MP and Housing Ombudsman already involved and regarding an unrelated issue but still concerning the HA and a repair, despite the local Councillor and an MPs involvement, a letter to No 10, as well as the Housing Ombudsman finding in my favour and awarding compensation. it still taken close to 2 years for an issue to be addressed and I’ve still not goy my compensation.

Last edited:
Well , I take your comments on board and sorry if I've offended you. Technically its under warranty and If the HA are not willing to do anything then your only option is to employ a local company to look at them , as through a computer, none of us will be able to give a definitive solution to your issue as we can't physically see it . Obviously this is going to cost you but I see no other alternative... even to the point of possibly having to pay to have the doors replaced yourself ( or possibly a different set of hinges fitted - but this is likely to leave old screw holes visible) . This is far from an ideal solution though
I am honestly at a loss as to what else to suggest

Sponsored Links
Well , I take your comments on board and sorry if I've offended you. Technically its under warranty and If the HA are not willing to do anything then your only option is to employ a local company to look at them , as through a computer, none of us will be able to give a definitive solution to your issue as we can't physically see it . Obviously this is going to cost you but I see no other alternative... even to the point of possibly having to pay to have the doors replaced yourself ( or possibly a different set of hinges fitted - but this is likely to leave old screw holes visible) . This is far from an ideal solution though
I am honestly at a loss as to what else to suggest
I’m not offended and I appreciate your time, opinion and response and I also the response of everyone who has contributed to my post.

I have no intention of paying to have new French Doors fitted myself.

My intention is to gather as much the information as possible to use it as ammunition to get the HA to replace the uPVC French Door unit again but one from a reputable manufacturer and installed by a reputable installation company.

My question on here, regarding the draught from around the glazing panel and beading, was not actually asking how to resolve its, but was.. should this be happening at all or have I taped over some inherent feature which may have redirected air flow or something;

Last edited:
You need a service engineer or a window/door doctor, whats your location?
What can a service engineer provide ?

Also, rather I provide my location on here, which I prefer not to, is a window and door doctor, actually a double glazing repair business ?

I totally agree that you should not have to be paying to fix this yourself. As goes the glazing, there should be no way for a draught to get round the glass. It's all fitted within the glazing aperture, usually the sealed unit is 8-10mm smaller than the width and height, with ' packers ' used in strategic locations to hold the unit it. For internally glazed frames, such as yours , It is pushed out to touch the rubber gasket on the external face and then the beads knocked into place with a rubber headed mallet to create a nice tight fit to the rubber gasket on the beading , there should be no gaps between the glass and rubber gasket to allow any form of draught

A service engineer is someone who knows the ins and outs of the product ... you get them in all industry , some work for specific manufacturers only. A window/door doctor is indeed someone who repairs windows and doors , whether an individual or a company .
For what it's worth Crank39 is actually the man to talk to , as he does a lot of work for warranty companies and there is not a lot of problems he's never come across

Well, the gazing panel of the French doors feels secure, with no movement when the panel is pushed, although I can slide a railway ticket in between the beading and glazing panel but I can’t do that on any of my other double glazed windows, although I’ve just discovered another issue in bedroom, which explains the draught in there, as there’s a gap all the way down the hinge side of the bedroom window.

Well you shouldn't be able to get anything between the glass and rubber gasket without applying some force, so a paper ticket shouldn't push through.
As goes the bedroom, that sounds like a classic case of the window hinges ( friction stays ) being worn and no longer locating correctly... actually a very common issue

A service engineer is someone who knows the ins and outs of the product ... you get them in all industry , some work for specific manufacturers only. A window/door doctor is indeed someone who repairs windows and doors , whether an individual or a company .
For what it's worth Crank39 is actually the man to talk to , as he does a lot of work for warranty companies and there is not a lot of problems he's never come across
Ok, thanks, I’m hoping to get my own independent survey to submit to the HA but thanks for the advice and recommendation

Well you shouldn't be able to get anything between the glass and rubber gasket without applying some force, so a paper ticket shouldn't push through.
As goes the bedroom, that sounds like a classic case of the window hinges ( friction stays ) being worn and no longer locating correctly... actually a very common issue
It’s a card ticket, slid between the glass panel and the beading, using very little force, although there’s some resistance but I can’t do it with glossy paper leaflet.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the railway ticket that you say you can slide between the glazing bead and the glazing panel (I assume you mean glass panel/glass unit), the glass unit should be clamped tightly between the inner rubber gasket on the bead and outer gasket, you should not be able to slide anything in, if you can then the glass unit is the wrong thickness

Rail ticket and yeah, I can slide it from the indoor side, in between the plastic beading and the glass panel, there’s a little bit of force but very little and when I try and do this on other double glazed windows, the card bends/folds instantly.

So, would the glass being the wrong thickness, allow a draught to occur around the beading?

Attachments

• IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back