Options available to increase compression seal on upvc french doors with no compression adjustment on hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Again, as subject title says, I have gaps all around uPVC French Doors and Housing Ass workmen claim they make adjustments, but makes no difference, as just pretend to adjust.
It's absolutely freezing, feel draught all around doors which are relative new, all new windows and doors fitted during COVID lockdown

Sponsored Links
Silly question..... you are pulling the handle up everytime you go through them? Manufacturers will tell you compression isn't complete until lock is fully engaged

Yeah, can't actually lock door with key unless the handle is turned up to engage the locking cams or whatever they're called.

French doors been bane of my life, this is the 5th pair, sick of complaining, every time poorly installed and don't seal.

The original non double glazed wooden door were excellent but apparently, some legislation states when wooden exterior doors or windows need replacing, they got to be double glazed and plastic.

Not sure what legislation you've been told. Certainly in England there is no such legislation lol.

Sponsored Links
The only thing I can think is that if the entire frame is being replaced it does have to be double glazed as it will need a minimum u value, no reason it has to be Upvc in particular
Wood , Ali or pvc are all fine

Yeah, I'm in England and Its something to do with Building Regs that came in, in 2002 and with my flat being Housing Association Property, they have to comply.

My original single glazed wood french doors got replaced with Identical single glazed wood French Doors & during some kind of building inspection, I was told its was an offence, against building Regs and the new wood doors should have never been fitted.
Then a council inspection ensued and eventually I was told the new wood doors would have to be replaced.
As building Regs says, whenever exterior wood window or wood glazed doors need to be replaced, they have to be double glazed and thats when my first set of uPVC french doors were fitted.

All works been carried out by the Housing Association.

Last edited:
Blimey 2002 that takes me back, wasn't that document L or something, minimum 16mm cavity, Low E glass?

It was indeed Crank.

To say they have to be Upvc under building regs is a crock of the brown stuff . How do you think wooden windows and aluminium still get fitted lol. That's the housing association rule.
If the frame and doors were replaced then yes it would have had to have been double glazed to conform to modern building regs ( whether in wood, pvc or aluminium ) BUT if only the actual.door sashes were replaced then it could still have been single glazed .
I'm also concerned that they quoted 2002 ( April to be precise) , as that building reuglation was superceded in 2010
My guess would be Housing association has used the cheapest they could find and , if any of the work I've seen by housing association ' window fitters ' is to go by ... Will be very poorly fitted, usually because the surveyor was rubbish and the fitter had to make do with what he has

Ronniecabers.... Hey, I'm no expert in this.
I'm only relaying the reasons I was told and why they were replaced, there's no need to reply with such a comment .... could you have just said, you must be mistaken.

After many inspections, one from a FENSA surveyor, two separated inspections by the local council surveyors, who said, whenever old window or door frame/unit needs replacing, under Building Regs, has to be replaced with double glaze units.

The Housing Association were arguing otherwise and I was stuck in the middle.

I was happy with the old and the new single glazed wooden doors, they never caused a constant draught and never needed adjustment

I'm not a builder or window fitter, hence why I turn to a forum such as this.

These uPVC french doors have been bane of my life.

3 complete uPVC french doors units been fitted since 2010, the current have been fitted since 2020 and non have provided a draught proof seal

The french doors are to what's called a Juliet balcony, to my living room and my flat is on the second floor.

Last edited:
The building regs stated that if replacement is required then they must be double glazed from April 2002, Ronnie isn't disputing that but rather saying they were incorrect in saying they have to be pvc, they could have fitted timber or aluminium doors with double glazing. The fact is when you mention double glazing people automatically think uPVC, I guess they fitted them because cheaper (relatively), easy to manufacture and are maintenance free(for the housing association)

Sorry wasn't aimed at you lol i meant the fitter/surveyor/housing association was talking a crock of brown stuff if they told you it HAD to be upvc under building regs

Have you got some pics of the locking mechanisms and the hinges? May help us see what the issue is.
For 3 sets to all be equally draughty , I am wondering about quality of manufacture or whether the installer actually has them upright and not bowed the frame when fixing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back