Removing glazing from UPVC French Windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently fitted a new set of UPVC french windows at the rear of my house.
Being in a hurry to finish the job (ear bashing from other half!) I fitted the glass panels and hung the doors, only to notice later that the glazing isn't in square.

Is it possible to take the beading back off and adjust the glazing? It seems to be clipped in pretty tightly...

Also, the doors themselves are hanging down slightly, so are closer together at the top than at the bottom, and catch a bit on the bottom cill when being closed. Do you think this is related to the glazing not being in correctly, or should I be able to adjust the hinges to sort this out? They have Allen key grub screws in the bottom of the hinges.

What do you experts think?

Sponsored Links
hi mate had similar issues with my backdoor, id adjust position of frame... check to see if is level on the four sides, top middle and bottom. if its out slightly you will struggle to close it (mine kept catching on bottom). take all screws out start one at a time keep checking to see if level each time you put a screw in. If all level then will close with no probs :) hope u solve it buddy

Thanks, I'll try adjusting the fixings.

So, as for the other issue, how do I remove the internal beads so that I can line up the glazing properly?

Cheers guys! :D

Sponsored Links
you need a thin stiff blade something like a cut down scraper(cut back so it is only about an inch long) probably sharpened up, you need to wedge it between the bead and the frame and prise it up with a sort of twisting motion. Best to start from the centre and make sure you start with the bead that mitres over the others, the first one will be the hardest and the un-mitred ones should come out easily.
At a push you can use a wide chisel but be careful I did myself a nasty injury years back doing it with a chisel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back