Choosing a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need to replace a very old electric shower in our house but I don't know what I am looking for.
We have a combi boiler but I am inclined to keep with an electric shower just incase the boiler goes on the blink.
Other than that I have no idea what I am looking for and the choice in the shops is overwhelming. Any advice you have would be great.
We only want a basic but reasonably powerful shower.

Sponsored Links
A Major issue could be the size of the electrical supply cable. If it's to the old standard or for smallish showers, it'll be too small for current stds and better showers. Replacing the cable can be a pain!
Some showers used to use 4mm sq, whereas most now require 10mmsq. You may have 6mmsq.

Hi Chris
Changing the cable is no trouble at all because at the moment there are no walls or ceilings in upstaris!! The existing cable is just lying on the floor!
What should we go for to give us the best shower?

Thanks
Jill

Its up to you to make this decision, start by allocating a cash sum that you are prepared to pay, then research within your price limitations.. :LOL:

No good telling you about the latest Bentley if you can only afford a skateboard and vice versa.... :LOL:

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

Sponsored Links
We just need a basic shower with reasonable power. Don't need it to do anything fancy or look fancy. I don't want to spend any more than I have to! We need an new roof walls and ceiling as a priority. However I don't want a feeble shower.
I really don't understand the difference between power showers and electric showers! Any advice on this?

Thanks

Jill

SHowers....
if the choice is between electric and combi

An electric shower will be say 8 to 11 kw. That'll give you around 4 litres/minute, max.
Combis run 24 to about 40kW, 10 to 17 or so litres/minute, yes, 3 to 4 times as much.

So if buying electric, go for the biggest which I think is about 10.8kW . Better controls cost more, but not all that useful if your water supply is fairly stable. Simple 10.5 kW ones are around at about £80.

A power shower usually refers to a thing with a pump in it - not appropriate if you're using the mains.

Thanks for this info.

I will get looking for a high KW electric shower right away.
Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Jill

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back