Help with Choosing new showers please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a new house. Our boiler is a Baxi Combi Condensor 105 HE. We have two showers in the house, both run off the cold water supply, both are electric and both are rubbish. Both reasonably hot but water flow and pressure is awful in both. I have tried to research how to improve water flow in showers and done all the cleaning of heads/pipes etc that I can do and nothing seems to improve the situation. What I am after is good, powerful and hot showers. Dont mind spending decent money to achieve this but dont need some advice please? I have read that showers are supposed to be great with combi boilers but ours are useless. Is it because they are electric? What sort of showers should I fit, or do I need to replace the boiler? Any help would be fantastic thanks,....

Sponsored Links
your best bet is a combi mixer shower, that will give you your best results. But would depend on your combi size as to how much hot water you could get to your shower, generally range from 9litres/min up to 15litre/min (very big combi) With your combi a pump is not an option as you will end you with cold water. The only way to have a more powerful shower would be to change your whole system to a unvented system with a hot water cylinder that would give you up to 18litres/min hot water but you could be looking at up to £4000 for that.

Also you could try a big electric shower 10.5kw but you would need a 10mm power suply to run it so you would have to check first whats in your wall.

Defo cheapest and best is the combi mixer and type will do but make sure its thermostatic so you dont end up scolded if someone turns on a cold tap

Even a small combi boiler will put more power into heating domestic hot water than the largest domestic electric showers, which were around the 11.5kW mark last time I looked.

If you're expecting a shower akin to that in a posh hotel then you can completely forget anything electrically heated. As above, your boiler may be able to produce a reasonable shower depending on it's size. My previous house had a WB GreenStar 42, which is at the large end in terms of DHW output, and that would happily provide one good shower.

If you're expecting to run two showers at once then you may as well forget anything other than a vented cylinder & pump, or an unvented cylinder & accumulator/possible incoming mains supply upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that info. I do not wish to run two showers at once so that should not be a problem. According to the manufactures specs the DHW figs are: 14.1 L/Min @30C rise and 12.1 L/Min @ 35C rise. Those figs look decent when I compare them to other boilers. If I went for a Combi mixer shower any recommendations please? Cheers..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back