Changing from electric to thermostatic shower - feed question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Need some options on feed when changing from an electric shower we have to a thermostatic shower.
Our change comes about due to a change in boiler to a combination and thus wanting a more powerful flow from the shower.
Our electric shower is in a wet room with the cold water feed coming from under the basin and chased behind 2 x tiled walls (1 being a boxing in which is tiled)
the combi boiler is going in the airing cupboard opposite the wet room.
As far as I can establish there are 2 options - to take both feeds from the combination in to the loft and drop down in to the wet room, or to take both feeds from under the basin using chrome pipes and having them exposed.
Are there any further options without removing tiles, and also what should I be looking for in terms of the shower as most I've seen need pipework coming from the rear?
Any help appreciated. we are social housing tenants looking for the best cheap option.
Our current shower is 9.5v mira but the flow ain't great, and we've been told once the new boiler is in a thermostatic shower would improve this.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Pipes from above will be the neatest and probably easiest solution.
If it's a bar type mixer shower, then you just need 2 right angle wall mounts, such as these: http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/triton-exposed-pipework-3524-25536
150mm apart, most bar mixers have the same spacing.

cheers, that confirms what i found since posting on here, the elbows.
So will go with the pipes from above.

Any know what the cheaper Mira models are like? Seen 2 - the Atom and the Coda, with the Coda only £71.99 from T&P's

What combi are you getting?
Have you looked into what flow rate you'd get out of it at the temp you want, compared to the electric one you currently have? Also remember that any hot outlet that is opened whilst using the shower will now affect the temp of the water you are getting and also the flow. Drawing cold elsewhere (flushing a loo or washing machine) will already have an affect on the electric shower and this will remain on the use of the combi to somewhat similar effect.

Sponsored Links
Have you looked into what flow rate you'd get out of it at the temp you want, compared to the electric one you currently have? Also remember that any hot outlet that is opened whilst using the shower will now affect the temp of the water you are getting and also the flow. Drawing cold elsewhere (flushing a loo or washing machine) will already have an affect on the electric shower and this will remain on the use of the combi to somewhat similar effect.

To be honest we only know it to be a combi, i think the surveyor said Potterton as i was hoping he would say Valliant, as that is the make we had in a previous property. But apparently Valliant didn't submit a quote to the housing when the tender went out.
Currently we have the Mira Advance Thermostatic Electric 9.8kw Shower, and the surveyor said a thermostatic shower will give us a much better flow.
He also said he would to lay 28mm pipe from supply to boiler it that makes any difference? We don't cook on gas.

It'll also be a lot cheaper to run.
What's the 28mm pipe run going to supply? Mains or gas?

Get a ceiling fed mixer like the aqualisa quartz.
Much neater but quite expensive.

It'll also be a lot cheaper to run.
What's the 28mm pipe run going to supply? Mains or gas?

Gas

Get a ceiling fed mixer like the aqualisa quartz.
Much neater but quite expensive.
The surveyor mentioned Aqualisa, he has a digital one, but can't stretch to that. I also notied that Bristan do one - Jute mini Twinline though no reviews that i can find.
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk...c-shower-valve-w-adjustable-riser-ceiling-fed

Crosswater now do a digital mixer also which has a screw on cable connection - so the bloody thing can't come loose like it can on the Quartz :cautious:

Found out we're getting a Potterton Pro-Max 28kw Combi.

Would anyone know if the boiler is sufficient for one of those thermostatic showers with the overhead drencher as well as a hand shower, something like this www.amazon.co.uk/Hansgrohe-27224000-Shower-Swivelling-Chrome/dp/B008DDEDWM

Ok, you have named what your getting (combi boiler make/model); and you have named what you want (handsgrohe shower). Your homework is to now look at the specs of both and determine if the max output of one can satisfy the max output of the other, and this all hinges on your incoming main and existing pipework. :D

Ok, you have named what your getting (combi boiler make/model); and you have named what you want (handsgrohe shower). Your homework is to now look at the specs of both and determine if the max output of one can satisfy the max output of the other, and this all hinges on your incoming main and existing pipework. :D

Opps better look that up now, as snapped this shower up at midnight, was on a lightening deal on amazon @ £120 so couldn't resist, just need a pair of elbows now for the pipework that will come down from the ceiling....... are these universal fittings or do i need the £32 grohe ones? cheers
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0086W7U2A

It's ok, found grohe ones for £25 so got them to be safe and for the quality...... now to find a plumber to install it once the boiler and new rads go in a week wednesday :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back