choosing a suitable radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've decided to have my old radiators replaced with brand new ones, but not sure where to start apart from having to pay a plumber to change the pipes. The current radiators are from the 70's, i think - 2 metres long by about half metre tall- None of the radiators i've seen are this long.

Saw loads of different radiators, single; double; long; short.

How do I decide what type is best for my open plan lounge and okay sized bedroom?
What is the best location for radiators? At the moment they are under the front window and in front of the front door, both are on external walls which are about 100 years old, literally.
Is it expensive to move radiators within the room, if its needed?

Love to hear some advise. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
anna preet said:
2 metres long by about half metre tall- None of the radiators i've seen are this long.
I can assure you that they still exist, but few merchants stock them; usually next day delivery though.

How do I decide what type is best for my open plan lounge and okay sized bedroom?
You work out the heat losses for each room and buy the radiator that gives out a faster rate of heat energy than that.

If the room was already warm enough then just get the same size radiator - a new and more efficient one of the same size will easily be enough.

What is the best location for radiators?
Probably where you've already got them. It's good to site them where there would otherwise be an unpleasant wall of cold air.

Is it expensive to move radiators within the room, if its needed?
It can range from easy to hard, depending on floor construction and access to existing pipework. Cost is directly proportional to the effort needed.

I would start by finding a reputable heating engineer - go with a word-of-mouth recommendation from a friend, colleague or family member whose judgment you trust.

thanks for that. forgive me for being thick, but how do i figure out what the heat losses are?

Usually by using a heat loss 'calculator'.

These days there are software packages, and indeed websites, on the 'net, that do this. If you search the forum you'll find them, but if not come back here and someone will post something sometime soon. :)

Sponsored Links
Will check the net. I'm sure its all quite complicated - will get me head round it though. cheers for your help :)

BTW, if your rads truly are 100 years old, they're probably worth something to the right person, ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back