Effectiveness of old cast iron Vs modern radiators?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Victorian house was renovated probably 15-20 years ago and has modern double radiators. In both our two front rooms we have long, low radiators... So long they obstruct virtually the whole of the only unbroken wall (due to doors, chimney breasts and windows in the other 3)

To me these modern radiators are ugly as well as space inefficient and I'm thinking to replace them with something narrower, possibly old style cast iron.

I've no idea if these put out as much heat or have problems I should know about... Any tips?

Sponsored Links
the more mass the greater the time delay between heat transfer
in other words if your radiator has twice the water content and 4 times the material you have to heat all the extra mass before getting the full heat out
then when you decide its hot enough you have more stored heat/energy being released

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I cared if it is actually vintage or not... Sounds like an old fashioned replica is better, not to mention an original one could be in discussing condition?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back