Choosing Cornicing/Coving for small cosy sitting room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am trying to inject some personality into my middle living room, which I want to be my main sitting room with reclaimed effect natural wood laminate flooring. It has a 2.65m high ceiling and is small at 3.53m x 3.6m so pretty square with alcoves.

Thing is i'm having trouble deciding what style of cornices/coving I should install. My house is Edwardian (1904) but this room has been modernised with double glazing and has a real focal piece fireplace, made of big pine railway sleepers with a massive slate interior and gas fire basket with big flames when in use, like in a country inn. It's really cosy but not Victorian or Art deco like in the front sitting room or other period features in the house, mainly art deco/victorian, so I don't know what style to choose. I don't think an ornate style or art deco style would go, but don't want basic curved coving either. Anyone got a similar style room or who sells cornicing who has recommendations?

I've had a look on web but don't know if it's best to have a deeper profile on the wall part or going across the ceiling to make the room feel bigger. It needs something as feels like a waiting room at the mo! lol

Also one wall is weirdly curved in places so I need flexible coving to be available in the same range. Haven't budgeted for this either so want a polymer type but as cheap I as can, without looking rubbish and that can installed with Basic DIY skills.

Sponsored Links
If your neighbours houses are the same age and style (and you get along with them) start there by having a nose at theirs if they have any.

reclaimed effect natural wood laminate flooring
You want secondhand plastic faced flooring?

@Foxhole. No what I mean is the style from the QuickStep laminate range called 'Reclaimed Chestnut natural planks - Perspective ULW1541' Check it out on google. It is still expensive for me at £660 all in inc. fitting and underlay compared to some others I've looked at. E.g. that came in at £440 all in, for 17.6sqm and I know that some people won't like laminate, if that's what you are getting at? Thing is, the sub floor down at the mo is draughty as all hell and has random planks sticking out from under the stairs that look bad. I've sanded my floor upstairs so know what's involved there, its just we what the soundproofing as well as heat insulation and can't go to Engineered wood or real wood in budget. Was going to get carpet originally and laminate for the hall but that's another topic!

@ Ladylola My neighbours are mostly students and student houses so have had the gutts ripped out of them, my house is one of the last with some period features left. The main theme is Art Deco if you look at the fireplaces in the bedrooms and the front room coving. But as I say, the style in the back room that I'm decorating is more country cottage.

Sponsored Links
We live in an Edwardian house at the moment. The 2 front rooms have not been used for many years except for storage, so they haven't been modernized. I believe the coving there is original and it looks pretty much like the coving on your last picture. The skirting boards and the architrave look the same, too. The fireplaces (not used due to cracks in the chimney) are cast iron with tiles both sides and slate surrounds painted white.

The downstairs room is about the same size as yours. There is a picture rail there as well, which I think works fine, otherwise the proportions of the room would look odd.

I don't have much knowledge about Edwardian interiors yet but hopefully this information would help you to decide what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back