New coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace my original coving, as Im replacing plaster & lathe ceilings which are seriously cracked. I live in a 1930s house & the coving is a simple curve design, for some reason its downstairs only in all the houses.
A neighbour has recently refurbished their house and put in coving with a 'step'. Im considering similar (an art deco profile coving), but should I really keep it original and have a moulding made up?

Same with the skirting, was tempted to go for an art deco step, but decided to have a profile made up from old piece and kept that original, just not sure on the coving?

Sponsored Links
It's up to you of course.

But I like the idea of keeping original features, before they are lost forever.

The coving you describe could possibly be recreated by fixing up normal modern coving, scrim the joins, then skimming over it to blend in with walls and ceiling. The coving would have to be cut into the walls and ceiling somehow so you don't get a step.

You would have to find a plasterer or builder who has the patience to do this.

Better still, find a plasterer who actually has the skill to cove properly, in the manner it was done originally. Best of luck with that. You may need an older plasterer. The method of coving you describe was probably last used on a large scale somewhere in the 50s. Very common in large 20s and 30s houses, usually downstairs only in front reception rooms and the hall.

The only drawback with this type of coving is you usually need a picture rail to separate the ceiling paint from the wall paint/paper.

Obviously the easy common way now is to just stick lengths of plasterboard coving on finished plasterwork. Where's the skill and prestige in that?

It sounds nice to keep the skirting board in the same pattern too.

On a slightly different note, some houses have stained glass in the top of their windows. If the frames have to be replaced, you can recreate the stained glass patterns on the new glass.

Hi Mate, thanks for your reply. Yes I think I'll keep with the original design. I have a coving guy who makes up to original design if I supply him with an old piece. As I mentined the downstairs ceilings need replaing so will lose the coving but will have him take a piece to recreate the coving after its done. Your right theres no coving upstairs at all. Im going to have a smaller profile made up for upstairs as I think it'd look alot nicer with. Also considering ceiling roses with just a plain design.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure your ceiling could be repaired if you try. As for coving generally? It's bloody awful!.

Its got too many cracks in it, tried digging the cracs out and filling etc, but they keep coming back. The coving gives it a more finished effect I think, if thats how the house was built I think itd be a shame to remove it all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back