Choosing my strimmer/brush-cutter... shortlist Hyundai Vs Honda

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After discussion about electric options, I've narrowed my selection for a petrol brush-cutter down to:
I have about .5 acres to manage, including a large lawn (120x40 feet) and a lot of trees. I'm new to serious gardening and not particularly handy.

I wanted a 4-stroke particularly as I hate the noise and smell of 2-stroke and the extra work of mixing oil - so Stihl was out of the running but to be honest was really beyond my budget anyway.

Both (the LE and UE are the same product with different handles as far as I can tell) get great reviews. The Honda I've heard people talk about in real life, but the Hyundai seems like a new challenger and gets very favourable comments for the features Vs price.

Shopping around, there seems to be a £100 price difference between them i.e. £185 Vs 285 with advantage Hyundai which is quite substantial. The Hyundai also comes with a bunch of safety gear thrown in which I don't already own, as well as two different toothed heads - a complete package.

The Honda will allow me to attach a hedge-trimmer attachment but given this costs ~£200 I don't really see that as a big plus - and I am not wanting to go the Versatool/Multi-tool route at this time.

I imagine simply as it's established the Honda might get more love here, has anyone tried the Hyundai?

Sponsored Links
Oh also - any comment on the loop VS bike handles for LE/UE Honda variants? They do a bent-shaft one as well but that seems to be a lighter-use model?

Hello d000hg

I have a Hyundai HYBCF31 and I must admit it is a good piece of kit. I spoke with a dealer, think they were called The PowerSite and the chap there was very helpful and price matched. They said the Hyundai is a 'Semi Pro' machine, must better than the cheap crap online. Obvioucly Stihl, Husqvarna...etc are a different grade, but you will pay through the nose for them. I'd say go for the Hyundai. They have launched 3 year warranty since May this year so they must have faith in their machines.

The bent shaft machines are strictly strimmers and don't take the brush cutting blade. For serious strimming you need cow horn bars plus a harness, and for hedge cutting you need a D handle.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hello d000hg

I have a Hyundai HYBCF31 and I must admit it is a good piece of kit. I spoke with a dealer, think they were called The PowerSite and the chap there was very helpful and price matched. They said the Hyundai is a 'Semi Pro' machine, must better than the cheap crap online. Obvioucly Stihl, Husqvarna...etc are a different grade, but you will pay through the nose for them. I'd say go for the Hyundai. They have launched 3 year warranty since May this year so they must have faith in their machines.
I came across that site too, they or someone else has it for £185 inc P&P which seems a real bargain for a decent 4-stroke machine, even without the extra blades and freebies.

I would be cynical of a long warranty, as the manufacturer may say that the machine has to be serviced on a regular basis (which could cost a fair bit).
All you need to do is to change the oil yearly, blow the crap away from the carburettor and air filter and treat it to the occasional spark plug.
The bevel gearing at the spool head should be greased regularly.....Stihl have grease in a tube which has the same thread as the greasing port, other manufacturers don't give us this luxury. For sure, if this part packs in, its a lot of cash to sort!

I'd be slightly wary of going for a relatively unknown brand like Hyundai unless I could be sure spares were going to be available when I needed them. It's all very well having a decent warranty (incidentally the Honda is five years) but if you can't get the parts or they take a long time to obtain, it's not much use.

I'd like to challenge your opinion on Stihl if I may. The FS55 is the comparable model to the ones you're looking at, sits in the same price bracket at around £220, and is quieter at 107db than either the Honda (109db) or the Hyundai (113db). It's also slightly more powerful. Mixing the fuel is simply a case of dumping a readily-available 100ml shot of oil into a 5 litre fuel can before you fill it up. No measuring required, takes 2 seconds.

Last edited:
I'll revisit... There were so many stihl modelsi didn't know which to compare against.

Do the low end stihl enjoy the same rugged longevity as the 'proper' ones?

Also where are you getting your price... The stihl site lists rrp and they're not stocked as widely when I've looked online?

If you're not particularly 'savvy' with machinery, the four stroke will always be an easier starter......with the Honda, you can't overprime and there's no juggling with the throttle position.
Prime, set the choke on the carb and in two soft pulls you are away!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links