Choosing new 13amp vs 7kw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Deciding on new hob and what will be easier (electrics wise)

What differences will I notice between 13amp plug in and a hard wired 7kw

Have gas at the moment that is being removed

Sponsored Links
A 13 amp plug in appliance can give you a maximum load of 3kW, whereas your 7 kW appliance gives you more than twice that - i.e more cooking rings, I would think.....it all depends what you want it for.
John :)

Yes, thanks

I am wondering if you actually notice when cooking the difference ie do the 7kw heat up quicker, get hotter etc ? Or do you not notice a difference when cooking - both I'm looking at have 4 rings

There will definitely be a difference in the ring maximum heat and cooking / warm up time......its similar to a 3kW electric kettle being replaced by one of those 750w camping jobbies - the water would boil, eventually!
Connection wise, your 7kW appliance needs to be connected to the consumer unit, via a cooker wall switch This is said to be hard wired. It won't come with a plug fitted, naturally as a plug can handle a maximum or 3kW (13 amps). The smaller appliance comes with its own plug, and can go straight into a convenient wall socket.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, will go with the hard wired 7kw

We are just trying to get our heads around it all so we understand what's what

The plan is to run 6mm cable

Consumer unit (40amp fuse with 32amp RCD) ------ dual appliance 45amp outlet plate------2 separate isolation switches ------ 1 to hob and 1 to oven

The 6mm will go through some joists and 1 partition wall but left out of wall whever possible

You must be aware of how much total current will be drawn by the hob and the oven - (you've only mentioned the hob so far).
This will determine the cable size and fusing needed. Personally I go for a separate feed for each appliance.
To calculate the current, divide the wattage of the appliance by the mains voltage (usually 240 / 250v)

3000W = 12 A
250v

Therefore, if the appliance is rated at 3000w, it consumes 12 amps of electricity. A 13 amp fuse is needed as thats the biggest fuse a normal plug can handle.
Ask in the electrical section for regulations, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back