Chrome pipe compression fittings - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started to fit out our newly tiled bathroom with chrome pipe to the toilet and basin. This is something I have done plenty of times before (a few years ago though) but I am having an absolute nightmare this time.

The chrome pipe is from screwfix as are the compression fittings and they're the cheap ones (which I have used before) although I did notice that all the olives that came with the fittings are now brass and not copper.

I installed everything as required but could not stop the joints from weeping (I used PTFE tape). After a wasted day I replaced all the piping and used copper olives - better but still a few persistent weepers... Very annoying :cry: I have resisted the temptation to 'muller' them to destruction and have been advised to use a jointing compound.

Before replacing the whole lot again (expensive) would I have any success if I split the joints, removed all the PTFE and used the jointing compound?

I am quite happy to start all over with new conex fittings, new copper olives and new pipe using a jointing compound from scratch but would like to try and salvage what I have first - Am I wasting my time?

Sponsored Links
What tools are you using to tighten them up, normally a 10 or 12" adjustable or combination spanner does the trick using opposite torque. If you're using grips/molewrench your not going to get the torque required without scratching the chrome. Possibly use some paste, but if your struggling with PTFE, I think you will struggle with paste. By the way, are you ptfe'ing the olive or thread.

Tighten until the olive bites into the pipe then dismantle and wrap the olive with PTFE and then re-tighten dont put any PTFE on any threads

Sponsored Links
I am using the opposite torque technique and after the second attempt with the copper olives failed to cure the weep I put PTFE around the olive (I usually wrap the threads) still no joy.

If I back them off and use the jointing compound and tightened them up again would that work - or are the olives now knackered so to speak?

dont put PTFE on the threads only wrap the olives and you should be fine and as already advised dont use grips use spanners adjustable or fixed

Chrome pipe is hopeless.

1. Use pipe glass cleaning cloth and remove the chrome from the end where
the compression fitting will fit.
2. Use copper rather than brass olives. Brass is too hard copper compresses more easily and will grip tight with much less force.

Sorted.

In the rare occasions where you don't get a good seal. Undo and and wrap 2-3 turns of ptfe around the olive.

Ok, I can't revisit this job now until next week but I'll undo everything, remove all PTFE from everywhere and re-apply the tape to the olives only.

and if that doesn't work I'll scrap it all and start again... again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back