Chrome Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Been reading through all the previous postings on this subject. Basically, joining chrome pipe with compression joints [to new radiator]

Some advise a brass olive because it grips the chrome pipe better. Some say copper because it compresses more easily. Which is better?

Some say PTFE tape around olive. Some say jointing compound around olive. Some say PTFE on olive and compound on nut [!] Some say nothing should be needed. Which is best?

I have made many compression joints in the past but all have been copper pipe. Never done any with chrome.

Your views, as always, would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Belboz

Sponsored Links
i prefer copper olives but then have used both.
i never use ptfe on an olive thats what the olives for.
i prefer jointing compound.

The olive can be either it will make no difference.

Jointing compound every time.

Putting jointing compound on the thread is for lubrication only, a lot of the continental rubbish don't fit toooooo well :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies.

Will use the copper olives and jointing compound then.

Much obliged.

Sponsored Links
Lightly sanding or using wire wool on the chrome plating where the olive will fit can improve it's grip on the pipe.

A couple of turns of PVC tape around the pipe will stop you sanding down the bits you don't want to.

Lightly sanding or using wire wool on the chrome plating where the olive will fit can improve it's grip on the pipe.

A couple of turns of PVC tape around the pipe will stop you sanding down the bits you don't want to.

Is this necessary?? Will it not reduce the OD of the pipe?? Don't get me wrong - I see what you are saying but just wondering.

Thanks

won't reduce it enough to worry about its standard copper pipe anyway what you would use in a compression.

won't reduce it enough to worry about its standard copper pipe anyway what you would use in a compression.

Lovely...Thanks very much. I'll give it a try.

If all else fails I'll resume to copper pipe and use snap covers... :eek:

Hello all,

Just thought I would take the time to thank everyone for their tips. New rad all fitted without a hitch thanks to the folks on here and their advice.

Thanks again,

Belboz :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back