Chrome pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I seem to have a slight problem with Chrome coated copper pipe... I'm using it in a compression fitting with an olive and PTFE tape however I'm getting some very slight moisture from around the compression fitting.... I left it over night with just one drip on the floor to show for it and I'm sure this will 'heal' in time however a customer isn't happy with the issue as the floor is being tiled... I have limited experience with chrome pipe, is there an easy way to remove the chrome so I can use a solder elbow or would hemp be a better option

Thanks

Stuart

Sponsored Links
you shouldn't need ptfe anyway thats what the olive is for.
copper olives work better on chrome pipe but i've used both and been ok.

you can file the chrome off to fit a end feed fitting. but looks ugly if visible.

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply... I never use PTFE tape when using copper pipe but as I've no experience with chrome pipe and the slight dampness I'm getting, it was just an option to explore.
The pipe will not be visible so will probably file the chrome off and put a solder elbow instead...

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply... I never use PTFE tape when using copper pipe but as I've no experience with chrome pipe and the slight dampness I'm getting, it was just an option to explore.
The pipe will not be visible so will probably file the chrome off and put a solder elbow instead...

will it not tighten any more without over doing it ?
sometimes the chrome may have a nick in it and the olive don't seal fully.

or just take he chrome off and still use a olive.
do you not use any jointing compound ?

Sponsored Links
Give the fitting another nip up, save time and money.

Take it it is a chrome tail to the towel rad, would'nt be draining down for the sake of a weep.

will it not tighten any more without over doing it ?
sometimes the chrome may have a nick in it and the olive don't seal fully.

or just take he chrome off and still use a olive.
do you not use any jointing compound ?

I don't want to over tighten it and have not used any jointing compound... Would Jet Blue be an option??
I will have to have a closer inspection of pipe to see if there are any nicks in it

Give the fitting another nip up, save time and money.

Take it it is a chrome tail to the towel rad, would'nt be draining down for the sake of a weep.

Believe it or not... It's for the hand basin... even thought the pipe will be hidden behind the pedestal, he still insists having chrome pipe for the 'aesthetical' (If that’s a word) look.... I just shake my head at times....

i use jet blue on all joints.
whats it feeding etc ?

Yeah, heard Jet blue is the stuff to get... Where exactly do you put the jet blue, all around the olive or behind the olive then the nut compresses against the olive and jet blue… am I making sense?...

Its feeding hand basin, see previous post…

Hi

Just a follow up as promised for you seco services and clf-gas... Jointing compount... what a dream... Thanks for you're advice, all now fully leak/drip proof... Will def use on all Com fittings

Thanks again

Stuart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back