Solder chrome pipes

in tight situations , if u run ur pipeslice one turn on the chrome pipe the pushfit can work

Sponsored Links
did it once about 2 yr ago in the eaves of an extension, aint blown off yet.

Sponsored Links
yes u can use pushfit on chrome, i only use it where u need to come through the walls from Cu to chrome for that profesional look, if anyone wants to disagree then thats up to u lot, i will not educate you no longer

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

using compression fittings is old school but i still use them, move on to the future and removing chrome from copper pipes is a mess never looks right

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And one more thing tell me what manufacturer of pushfit fittings says that u cannot use them on chrome pipe

ok here from john guest

http://www.johnguest.com/linkpages/FAQs.htm

9 Can I connect chromium plated copper pipe to a Speedfit Fitting?
Chromium plate is too hard for the fitting’s stainless steel teeth to provide a good grip. Therefore the chrome finish needs to be removed from the length of pipe to be inserted into the fitting. To ensure maximum grip, the fitting of a collet clip is recommended.

Speedfit Fittings should not be used with stainless steel pipe.

you make it almost too easy bill(socalled)plumb

this is not a competion corgimann its about giving advice and good advice at that, i have used these fittings when changing from copper to chrome and not had any trouble. i have even used them in my own home 10years ago and not one drop of water has been lost thrugh using these fittings. i have 100% confidence in these manufactures

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And as u stated from john guest why dont u use a collet clip as recommended by speedfit for maximum grip MATE

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As it says don't use with stainless steal

MOD 2
i have asked you on numerous occasions to use the edit key

any further multiple posts will be deleted

nope it dont, and your right i aint a competition, it says you can use a push fit fitting ONLY after removing the chrome and fitting the securing clip. Read it again MATE

as for talk about john guest and not tectite, i believe that john guest were the intial providers of push fit technology and in affect set the bench mark, ergo I chose them the illustrate the point all of us were making that you should not use push fit on chrome pipe.

you can carry on using whatever manufacturers push fit fittings on your chrome pipe, but you did not ask to be shown where the makers state "where does it say that I cannot use pushfit on chrome" you asked

"And one more thing tell me what manufacturer of pushfit fittings says that u cannot use them on chrome pipe"

so i did.

u can use your old methods as i do but lets try and move to the future and make things simple for our selves MATE

But MATE that is not what you asked for at all you asked for proof that the makers dont want you to use it on chrome????

you could use push fit as a willy extender on yourself for all i care, but would have expected you to be a bit more polite?

On what basis do you call your self a plumb? plum more like

Just had a push fit pop off a chromed pipe. I hadn't realised they would be a problem, and thave just installed a rad with chromed pipe. One side has a compression joint, so thats OK, but the RTV I bought had a push fitting. It has been on and working for three days with no probs, then it just slid out. Fortunately the access I cut in the ceiling below is still open, so I can repair.

I had roughed up the ends of the pipe, but not right down to copper. I guess I have a bit more sanding to do. I might try the scribe a line with the pipe cutter trick, seems like a neat solution.

I'm worried about the other end of the tails now - I have replaced the 8mm pipe buried in the wall with 15mm chrome pipe coming through the floor, with a 15mm to 8mm adaptor to connect the two. These were sweat fittings. They soldered OK, and don't leak, but I don't want them to come apart as soon as I've made the ceiling good, or even worse in a couple of years time. I'm starting to regret that chrome pipe ....

Should I take them out and redo the job with plain ol copper? Wrap the joints in epoxy to strengthen them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back