Chrome plated copper pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just had a towel radiator fitted by a plumber friend (recently qualified). I had bought some chrome plated copper pipe from screwfix for the tails but my friend had never soldered them before. He soldered them as normal and the solder seemed to take but speaking to someone today I was told you had to use special flux or remove all the chrome with a file before soldering. Is this correct??

I haven't filled the system yet so the joint hasn't been tested but i don't want to refill if the joints are likely to leak.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Not filled the system yet so unsure if it leaks. I don't want to fill the system if there is the possibility of a leak, it might be easier to get him back remove the joint and then get him to remove the chrome and resolder.

Sponsored Links
What a brilliant role your friend has played - he's attempted something that he never had before, which is unlikely to work anyway, and then got away without testing it. If he could work out a way to get paid for stuff like that then he'd have the dream job. :D

Dont fill system probably easier to remove capillary elbows & replace with chrome plated compression elbows

weareleeds said:
Dont fill system probably easier to remove capillary elbows & replace with chrome plated compression elbows
Indeed so - they should just twist off without any tools. :D

You can file it off too with a bit of patience and a decent file..

I take that as an answer too my reply?

You can use a file to carefully take the chrome of the copper and then solder a fitting on if need's be.

Work's fine ;)

sambotc said:
I take that as an answer too my reply?
Er, yes. :rolleyes:

You can use a file to carefully take the chrome of the copper and then solder a fitting on if need's be.
Well I didn't consider that you could possibly have meant that, since the very first post on the topic contained this:

davphi338 said:
...speaking to someone today I was told you had to use special flux or remove all the chrome with a file before soldering.

I was mearly pointing out that you CAN use a file and solder as normal?

No 'special' flux required just file it off.

But i'll let you have your 2 minute's of glory

Softus 1 - sambotc 0

:LOL:

sambotc said:
I was mearly pointing out that you CAN use a file and solder as normal?
And I was merely pointing out that what you were merely pointing out had already been merely pointed out, at the mere beginning of the topic.

No 'special' flux required just file it off.
Have another read - this time merely look at all of the words.

:rolleyes:

davphi338 said:
...speaking to someone today I was told you had to use special flux or remove all the chrome with a file before soldering.

But i'll let you have your 2 minute's of glory
I can assure you that your moment of nonsense doesn't make my glory meter needle even flicker away from zero. :rolleyes:

davphi338 wrote

He soldered them as normal and the solder seemed to take but speaking to someone today I was told you had to use special flux or remove all the chrome with a file before soldering. Is this correct??

Dont you ever give up Softus you pratt?.
The OP was not sure if filing was an option and Sambotc's reply confirmed that filing is OK.
Why dont you read what the OP said instead of doing your usual nitpicking through someones post.

Balenza said:
Dont you ever give up Softus you pratt?.
Can't you ask a question without being insulting, or without resting your case. :D

BigBurnWithForkedTongueAndManyUserNames said:
The OP was not sure if filing was an option and Sambotc's reply confirmed that filing is OK.
Why dont you read what the OP said instead of doing your usual nitpicking through someones post.
Mm. I read it OK. I also read the following:

weareleeds said:
... and I supported that option, since it's clearly the best one.

Go on - rest your case. You know you want to. Rest rest rest rest rest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back