Can I solder chrome plated copper pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing a chrome towel rad in the bathroom, and would like to use chrome plated flow and return pipes.

Where I tee off the main flow and return for feeds to the towel rad, can I use solder tee's, or, should I use conex type fittings?

If I can use solder fittings, do I have to use wire wool / emery cloth, to remove the chrome plating before I solder the tee's?

Sponsored Links
To solder chrome pipe you have to file the chrome off first then emery clothe it

It's not easier to use copper then enclose the pipes in those chrome slip-on sheaths?

You will also need to buy a minimum length of chromed pipe when I bet you only need a few inches. Come to think of it, I might have some in the shed I can flog you for beer tokens.... how much do you need?

It's not easier to use copper then enclose the pipes in those chrome slip-on sheaths?

You will also need to buy a minimum length of chromed pipe when I bet you only need a few inches. Come to think of it, I might have some in the shed I can flog you for beer tokens.... how much do you need?

Thanks for the offer, but, postage etc will kill it. Looked at the chrome plastic snaps (sheaths) and may look to use this if it works out easier.

Screwfix do a kit, 2 lengths of 300mm x 15mm chrome copper and 2 tube collars for £5.49. This is the way I'm thinking of going.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88014/Plumbing/Radiator-Valves/Radiator-Valve-Tubes-Covers-Chrome

Sponsored Links
Radsnaps are definitely easiest, although if you do decide to use chrome plated tube, I've had success cleaning off the chrome plating using a small bench grinder and then giving the end of the pipe a quick clean. Filing does also work, although it's not quite as quick.

My radsnaps are starting to curl up and deform a bit after 2 years....

I find it easier to flair the chrome plated copper and use a street elbow in the wall. The inside of the pipe is not chrome plated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back