Chrome plated copper pipe

Your a better man than most if you can, without looking at a job state that compression is the best option!

If,like me, you don't like to see compression joint's everywhere, especially being on chrome, which has a habit of being a bit of a pig to tighten up, you may want to, if softus doesn't mind,file the chrome off and solder instead...

Nice to have a few option's anyway, so the choice is your's.

Sam

Sponsored Links
sambotc said:
Your a better man than most if you can, without looking at a job state that compression is the best option!
That's a bit naive IMHO - there aren't many ways in which a capillary fitting can be soldered onto chrome-plated copper tube, and, given that the guy is going to unsolder it (unless he cuts the pipe back and makes the job even bigger than it is/was), then it's straightforward to predict that the state of the pipe afterwards better lends itself to using a compression fitting then any of the other options.

If,like me, you don't like to see compression joint's everywhere, especially being on chrome, which has a habit of being a bit of a pig to tighten up, you may want to, if softus doesn't mind,file the chrome off and solder instead.
I realise that you're suggesting that the OP solders, and I also understand that you're not insisting that it's the best option, but is it your view that soldering is the best option for aesthetic reasons? If so, doesn't this mean that you've stated that soldering is best option, without looking at the job?

Nice to have a few option's anyway, so the choice is your's.
I couldn't agree more.

Softus wrote

That's a bit naive IMHO

Its not a bit naive you plonker. The rad tails could be under the floor and some will have reservations about fitting compression joints in this location.

then it's straightforward to predict that the state of the pipe afterwards better lends itself to using a compression fitting then any of the other options.

Really.
So you think the compression ring is just going to slide up the pipe with no trouble. ??????
Your a plastic advocate so I dont think you know what you are talking about.
Let me see you squirm your way out of this one with your usual nitpicking. :rolleyes:

Balenza said:
Its not a bit naive you plonker.
Picking my way around the insult, I disagree with you.

The rad tails could be under the floor and some will have reservations about fitting compression joints in this location.
I don't care if they have reservations. It's still the best technical solution to the problem. IMHO.

I take it that you disagree, which is fine - no further discussion is needed, especially since you seem incapable of doing so politely.

So the compression ring is just going to slide up the pipe with no trouble.
Good. That will be handy.

Your a plastic advocate
I'm not an advocate of any one particular fitting, or type of fitting, or pipe, or type of pipe. If you'd taken the care to read any of my posts regarding plastic pipe and push-fit fittings then you'd already know this.

Sponsored Links
If that's what you think I'm doing, then be my guest - have fun. Knock yourself out. Your views about me personally have absolutely no influence on anything in the known universe, or beyond.

Hey Softus. I have just edited a previous post.
Be a good boy and add the changes to your nitpicking posts. :LOL:
And then I will rest my case . ;)

Right time out everyone :LOL:

At the end of the day, it's a differance in opinion. I find it hard to belive (being a bit of a newbie on this site) that fellow plumber's cannot mearly state other way's about doing a job without causing an arguement!

Jeeez everyone know's there are multiple ways of doing the same job, none of which are the right and wrong way!

People come on here to get advise on area's they are not familiar with so surely it make's sense to show them ALL the option's and them to decide themselve's when they are actually doing it, after all some suggestions may work in one situation where as another maybe be better in other's. If you've got a pipe cut in half and the first one fail's it'd be good to have a back up plan, right??

I must admit i get the feeling some people (generally not specific) seem to think that proving other advisor's on here wrong earn's them brownie point's or something, well it don't. If the infomation's wrong, then gladly point them in the right direction.

Just to add, i came on here to learn just as much as i did advise, so i don't for one minute think i have the answer's to all the question's on here, but wll try to advise where i feel i can do so. :rolleyes:

Rant over.

Let's all get along and try and be of use :cool:

Sam ;)

The DIY nut attacking the PRO!........
smilie_mondieu.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back