Chrome plated copper pipes and compression joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am having real problems with using chrome plate copper pipe (15mm from Screwfix) with chrome plated brass compression fittings (also from Screwfix). Having put down 10m of pipe in the bathroom, which looks great, I simply can not stop the drips from these fittings.

I assume my problem is that the copper olive is not penetrating through the hard chrome plate to create the seal. I can only think I need to remove the chrome plate from the section where the olive sits for each joint. However looking at other posts, people seem to be happy to recommend compression fitting with chrome plated copper pipes.

Can anyone suggest another alternative before I change the pipework into standard copper?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Like you said, file the chrome off where the olive sits, you could also wrap a little ptfe around the front face of the olive.

Have you tried pasteing your fittings. Tplus2 or jet blue.

Sponsored Links
never come across any problem with screwfix or any other chrome pipe / fittings.
their should be no need to remove the chrome only on pushfit or solder joints.
have your nipped them up tight enough

Everyone in the trade knows that you have to remove the chrome withing the fitting.

Chromic acid is best but not advisable for a DIY.

Motto never embark on a DIY project when you dont know how to do it!!!

Tony

i always mark them with a hacksaw blade to rough them up, and put a bit of jointing compound on it before i slide the olive on, and a bit more compound on the olive on the clean side.

I reckon it depends on the olive somewhat. The nice hard Conex brass ones dig in, but the copper ones are hopeless.

Agile said:
Everyone in the trade knows that you have to remove the chrome withing the fitting.
...and everyone on the site now knows that you know almost nothing about general plumbing.

Motto never embark on a DIY project when you dont know how to do it!!!
With that attitude you don't qualify for giving advice on a site that advises DIYers who come here for help when they don't know what they're doing.

I think that the bigest danger is that although it may not be leaking the fitting might slide off the chrome pipe as a result of increased water pressure or vibration.

Tony

Agile said:
I think that the bigest danger is that although it may not be leaking the fitting might slide off the chrome pipe as a result of increased water pressure or vibration.
As with unchromed copper tube, the risk of sliding off is always there if you don't crimp the olive onto the tube. The skill is in achieving this without necking it, and as ChrisR has pointed out, this is easier to do on chromed tube if you use a brass olive.

yawn.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back