Chunk out of car tyre side wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve spotted a chunk missing from one of the other half’s car tyres. I assume any sidewall damage like this isn’t good, but this almost looks like a sacrificial raised rim on the tyre (okay, it probably isn’t, but I’m wondering why there’s a raised rim). I thought I’d seek some alternate view on the nature of the damage before placing an order for a new’un.
thanks all!

(PS the finger wasn’t supposed to be in shot - I realise it’s not quite pointing at the tyre damage…I could say it’s pointing at the significant rim scrapes though! )

Attachments

• 4508A885-2E43-4B20-8365-20C690DE2094.jpeg
    4508A885-2E43-4B20-8365-20C690DE2094.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
It is there to protect your rims from light kerbing. Nothing wrong with the tyre - no actual damage to the integrity of the tyre and definitely not an MOT failure.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much about that. As others have said, it's a bit of protection against kerbing (sometimes called a "granny ridge"), which clearly isn't working! Your sidewall looks to be about the same thickness at the bottom of the gouge, as the rest of the sidewall away from the granny ridge, so it hasn't weakened the carcass at all.

Back