Chunks of liner falling out of chimney - what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

And thanks for reading - I live in a terraced house built about 1925. Woke up this morning to find that the living room grate was covered in dust, and when I felt up the chimney, I could see chunks that had collected at the bottom - probably about 10 chunks, average size of a 50p piece. These look to be similar in consistency to mortar, with one side blackened from being exposed to the exhaust gases. Does this mean I need to get the chimney relined, and if so, how quickly does it need to be done. The chimney is used, we have a living flame gas fire that we haven't used yet this autumn, but soon will be.

How much would getting it relined cost?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Ed

Sponsored Links
Something may have come loose and fallen down the chimney, if you have a gas fire then you can have a stainless steel liner fitted which seems a standard for old houses, when installing gas fires these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back