CHW is not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Potterton Puma 80 permanent pilot. The boiler is cutting out after several minuters of CHW demand. The boiler is firing up and the CH flow pipe is very hot. Also the rads are heating up nicely. The Pump and fan are OK. I have a new flow switch and CH overheating thermostat. The DHW is OK. There are no unusual sounds. Can any one suggest a solution?

Sponsored Links
do you mean the pilot shuts off ar just the main burner

Thankyou for your reply.
The pilot light and the main burner. I am not sure which is first.

"CHW" ?

What is that meant to mean? DHW or CH ?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi tony,

Sorry its a bit late, and my dislexia gets the better of me round about now!

Thanks Corgiman, I will replace the diverter valve

And I still dont know what "CHW" means!

And so I dont know if Corgiman's suggestion is correct or an expensive diversion!

Tony

And I still dont know what "CHW" means!

And so I dont know if Corgiman's suggestion is correct or an expensive diversion!

Tony

actually re reading your post (rads getting hot) I think tones is right and I am on the wrong track.

CH thermister may be crook

I do apologize for not reading the post proper

:)

Tanks Boys

tish is getting uot of and.
Truce.
By CHW I meant Central Heating Water. DHW means Domestic Hot Water. I put the Water in the wrong place. CHW should be CH which means Central Heating. Phew!

I will replace The C.Heating Water Temp Sensor, and the Wax Capsule Head - but should I replace the diverter valve as well as the Wax Capsule Head? I have read that this is expedient - advantagious.

Laugh and the whole world laughs at you.

IF the pump is working properly then it certainly sounds as if the diverter valve wax element has failed. Very common fault after 6-10 years.

Thats all that is likely to be wrong although just replacing the element may still not solve the problem if the rest of the valve is badly sludged up.

Tony

Hi Tony,
I have replaced the Diverter Valve Complete Assembly including the Wax Capsule Head, and the Central Heating Water Temp Sensor. The CH fires and the pressure guage (set to 1.1 bar) will climb until it reaches Bar 3-4 and then the boiler switches off, the pilot light is turned off.
Could it be the air pressure switch?

Hi Tony,
The CH fires and the pressure guage (set to 1.1 bar) will climb until it reaches Bar 3-4 and then the boiler switches off,

Thats something new ( to us ) !

Your expansion vessel is failed or needs recharging.

See the FAQ on this site for details of what to do to test/recharge it.

Tony

Hi Tony,

I have 2 Expansion Vessels for DHW and CH. I presume its the CH vessel as its the CH thats cutting out?

Thanks

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back