Circuit Testing Tool...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

I need to know that the electric circuit I’m plugging devices into is on the same electric circuit. It’s quite a big building and old so am not sure if it uses one circuit or more.

Please can someone recommend a cost effective and simple device which can indicate this to me? I need all power mains outlets to be on the same circuit in order for my devices to work so rather than blow money first, it would make sense to check.

Thanks,

Andy

Sponsored Links
I assume these are homeplugs, a quick and easy way to test is to turn everything off at the fuse board except for the circuit and plug in a lamp etc at the required socket and see if there is power and in theory they should be on the same circuit and you have done that turn all the other circuits on and turn off the relevant circuit and the lamps should go out and if not its time to get it sorted

Hi,

Hoping someone can help.

I need to know that the electric circuit I’m plugging devices into is on the same electric circuit. It’s quite a big building and old so am not sure if it uses one circuit or more.

Please can someone recommend a cost effective and simple device which can indicate this to me? I need all power mains outlets to be on the same circuit in order for my devices to work so rather than blow money first, it would make sense to check.

Thanks,

Andy

Unless you have a 3 phase supply ALL your house is effectivly on the same circuit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.

I should have mentioned previously that the big building is a restaurant. I’m plugging computer hardware devices into each main socket. Each computer device is using the electric mains circuit to send computer data to each other. This is why they have to be on the same circuit.

I assume these are homeplugs, a quick and easy way to test is to turn everything off at the fuse board except for the circuit and plug in a lamp etc at the required socket and see if there is power and in theory they should be on the same circuit and you have done that turn all the other circuits on and turn off the relevant circuit and the lamps should go out and if not its time to get it sorted

Unfortunately I’m unable to turn anything off on the fuse board because the restaurant will be open so I was hoping there would be some kind of tool to test each socket in order to confirm if they are on the same circuit.

I can’t guarantee an electrician will be on site so am looking for a simple device I could use myself. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

Electricity At Work Regulations.

Licenced premises regulations.

Public Liability Insurance Ts'n'Cs.

Employer's Liability Insurance Ts'n'Cs.

Buildings Insurance Ts'n'Cs.

Lease agreement Ts'n'Cs.

Stay away from the electrics.

Electricity At Work Regulations.

Licenced premises regulations.

Public Liability Insurance Ts'n'Cs.

Employer's Liability Insurance Ts'n'Cs.

Buildings Insurance Ts'n'Cs.

Lease agreement Ts'n'Cs.

Stay away from the electrics.

Thanks, I'm not wanting to go near the electrics hence asking if there's a simple device which can be used?

Regards,

Andy

But you're trying to identify the circuitry so you will be going near the electrics - can't be avoided. As has been explained, without a sure-fire circuit diagram (which you haven't got and they've never existed in the wild anyway) the only way to check which socket outlets are on which circuit is to switch off the circuits, switch them back on one at a time and test the sockets as you go.

Incidentally, which wire is the data connection using, line, neutral or earth? If line or neutral they all come come together at the distribution board anyway so no problem.

PJ

Incidentally, which wire is the data connection using, line, neutral or earth? If line or neutral they all come come together at the distribution board anyway so no problem.
... and so do the 'earths' (come together at the distribution board), come to that :) I think the issue may be that data transmission might not be satisfactory through an OPD. Mind you, given that it's a commercial premises, we can't really be certain that it's a single-phase installation - and, if not, the Ls will obviously not 'come together at the DB'.

Kind Regards, John

Plugging in a pair of homeplugs would tell you if using homeplugs would work.

... and so do the 'earths' (come together at the distribution board), come to that :) I think the issue may be that data transmission might not be satisfactory through an OPD. Mind you, given that it's a commercial premises, we can't really be certain that it's a single-phase installation - and, if not, the Ls will obviously not 'come together at the DB'.

Kind Regards, John

My mistake, I meant to type "earth or neutral", cos of course the line (live) is separate.

PJ

That is, of course, the most obvious/simple solution, but I think the OP had already realised that when he wrote:
...need all power mains outlets to be on the same circuit in order for my devices to work so rather than blow money first, it would make sense to check.

Kind Regards, John

Just bear in mind that there is no PLT equipment on the market that actually is legal. It's a hot potato that so far all departments have managed to toss away and deny responsibility for - OfCon even going as far as simply lying about the results of tests they had commissioned.

http://www.ban-plt.co.uk/truth-lies.php
http://www.rsgb.org/plt/

And don't make the mistake of thinking this only affects "a few beardies with a funny hobby" - there is a hell of a lot of stuff that relied on radio spectrum.

Just do the job properly, and run a cable. Or use WiFi - it's not as if you're trying to stream real-time jitter sensitive video etc.

JohnW2";p="2572915 said:
That is, of course, the most obvious/simple solution, but I think the OP had already realised that when he wrote:
...need all power mains outlets to be on the same circuit in order for my devices to work so rather than blow money first, it would make sense to check.

Thats correct, its like the homeplugs which I want to use but I don't want to purchase a load if it turns out there's more than one circuit.

PJ:
"The only way to check which socket outlets are on which circuit is to switch off the circuits, switch them back on one at a time and test the sockets as you go."

Thanks, if thats the only other way then I'll purchase a pair of used homeplugs and have to test in sections. Just was hoping for an alternative.

Thanks PJ and Mattylad for your helpful answers.

Kind regards,

Andy.

PJ: "The only way to check which socket outlets are on which circuit is to switch off the circuits, switch them back on one at a time and test the sockets as you go."
Thanks, if thats the only other way then I'll purchase a pair of used homeplugs and have to test in sections. Just was hoping for an alternative.
I'm a bit confused. This restaurant surely isn't open 24/7? Is there not a time of day when you could switch circuits off for a few minutes in order to work out which sockets are on which circit(s)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back