Circuit with temperamental fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

We have a converted garage and a new circuit box was out in many years ago. We have found that sometimes the lights don't work in there. When checking the curricula box the circuit for the lights only has a fuse that is pushed in and doesn't have a trip attached.

When investigating we noticed that any small movement of fuse circuit at all will make the lights work/not work. Am I right in thinking the most obvious answer is the cable to the MCB/fuse box is a ring up and/or it's the fuse unit/MCB itself?

I'm not going to try and sort myself but I'm just brain dumping ahead of electrician coming out.

Sponsored Links
The old Wylex box with fuses it was easy to break the fuse wire when renewing it, latter they moved to cartridge fuses, then then push in MCB's the latter can still be found, as to if worth spending out not so sure, even second hand are fetching £9 each, I have a load of fuses in my shed I am about to dump, but unless your interested in Steam railways to come to Mid Wales to get them would simply not be worth it.

Time for a new consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to follow but -

something loose somewhere I would think.
I know yes sorry - I was writing whilst waiting for somebody.

Essentially when I use something nonconductive to 'tap' the fuse box responsible for the lights, on the consumer unit, the lights come on. It's like something is loose yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back