Circuits in Cabin

PKJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i'm building a 10ft by 8ft cabin to use as a bedroom next to my house and would like some advice on the electrical circuits I should use inside.

I already have a 12 mm armoured cable direct from a 32 amp MCB in the house to the garage and would like to add another length of 6mm armoured from that to my cabin which is next to the garage. Is 6 mm ok for this?

There is a chest freezer on in the garage all the time.

what would be the best way to connect into the 12mm armoured cable from the garage to the cabin? another consumer unit maybe?

aCTAXPk.png

What would be the best way to wire both lighting and socket circuits? Ring main for sockets? or something else?

Are the 6amp and 32amp MCB's in the consumer ok for this job?

I will be running a PC, LCD TV, heated blanket and floor lamp from the sockets and the hoover on the odd occasion.

There will be 4 240v GU10 spot lights on the lighting circuit. and an exterior spot light from another switch.

I've tried to be as descriptive as I can to help with any advice.

Sponsored Links
When you applied for Building Regulations approval, what did you say would be the way you'd ensure compliance with Part P?

Given the questions you're asking it is clear that you don't have anywhere near the level of competence you need to start designing installations like this, and there's no way that your LABC will accept that you have.

So you need to get an electrician.

And BTW, that lighting design is useless - hopefully your electrician can advise on that too.

My first comment has to be 12 mm? That is a non preferred size we normally go 2.5mm², 4mm², 6mm², 10mm², 16mm² so I wonder how you know it is 12mm² cable or have you measured the diameter of whole cable rather than cross sectional area of the cores.

This will likely be considered as a new circuit so very likely you will need to notify the LABC this could be as part of a larger notification or you can use a scheme member electrician however if only the electrical work is notified the latter likely cheapest option.

Once in the room likely you will need some form of distribution unit be it an array of FCU's or a consumer unit. Again may need to be notified. Likely for such a small room one would use radials not a ring.

If the cabin is wood the limits on lights and distances from flammable items could be a problem. 0.5 meters the minimum distance for lamps up to 100W unless manufacturer says otherwise is quite a distance and likely the L something version of the GU10 lamps which only allow LED bulbs to be fitted would be a better option.

To comply with Building regulations Part L, at least 3 of those 4 downlights will need to be low energy.

What sort of roof will you have? If it is a flat roof, how will you maintain the integrity of the roof insulation if you are going to chop great chunks out to make space for your downlights.??

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back