Running power to a garden log cabin via a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Looking for some information on powering a log cabin but also a garage which is between the cabin and house. My intention is to run armoured cable to the pod via the garage. Once finished I will get an electrician to check, test and connect to the consumer unit. So the question is what the correct method(s) to connect through at the garage. The garage will have a single LED light and a couple of sockets. The pod will run a small heater, TV and a few other things. I am happy working out max current / Kilowatts for appliances and also the length of run so i can size the cable. I'm unsure about how to split the feed at the garage. Do i fit a small consumer unit in the garage and use one output straight onto the pod and another to feed the garage ring or is there a better way. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Looking for some information on powering a log cabin but also a garage which is between the cabin and house. My intention is to run armoured cable to the pod via the garage. Once finished I will get an electrician to check, test and connect to the consumer unit. So the question is what the correct method(s) to connect through at the garage. The garage will have a single LED light and a couple of sockets. The pod will run a small heater, TV and a few other things. I am happy working out max current / Kilowatts for appliances and also the length of run so i can size the cable. I'm unsure about how to split the feed at the garage. Do i fit a small consumer unit in the garage and use one output straight onto the pod and another to feed the garage ring or is there a better way. Thanks in advance.
We can give you all the advice in the world but the correct in this situation is to ask your electrician who will be signing and notifting.

Your electrician will have to certify that he/she

DESIGNED
INSTALLED
and
TESTED

this notifiable work.

Even if you could find an electrician who is a “third party” certifier you will still need to do the install, etc under his/her direction.
My advice: find your electrician now, have him/her specify and detail the what and how of material that needs to be installed.

Sponsored Links
OK - Thanks for this. I already have someone who is happy to let me do the work, but you are right the last time I did some electrical work (running extra sockets to be incorporated into the downstairs ring) he explained to me how he wanted the work done and then checked and tested afterwards , so I guess I'll use the same approach again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back