power supply for a cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i just got small log cabin built at the back of my garage, can i run seperate circuit from my garage consumer unit to supply another consumer unit in the cabin for 3 lights and 4 double sockets would be grateful for any responses

Sponsored Links
Yes you can. You need to concern yourself with how big the cable is from the main CU to the garage CU, the cable you intend to run to the cabin, and the available supply. Start with the load you require to use in the cabin and go from there. Once you've worked out your loading, cable sizing and overload protection, you need to establish how you will earth the installation and how you will test it.

Once you've worked that all out, you can select an appropriate cable (SWA probably) for the cabin supply.

Find out the type of earthing you have and your present loading requirements before starting!

the main cable from the house to garage is either 4 or 6 mill swa, im just looking 3 lights in it and few sockets for a jukebox and a tv

there is spare way in the consumer unit in garage, i was going to run 6mmswa from garage to cabin and put a 2 way consumer with its own rcd unit for lights and sockets would this be suitable

Sponsored Links

you will be wanting
prd%7B07B65656-B2FB-4CDE-88FC-8B1C2D0D029D%7D.jpg
as well

and if you have the money , a laser that does
prdbab75ad7-f942-48a5-800e-72cf29034fb3.jpg
(a snip at under £500)

Does the garage CU already have RCD protection, or is the supply to the garage CU already RCD protected (talking 30mA RCD here).

If so, additional RCD protection is pointless.

the garage is protected at the main consumer from in the house, if the supply cale going to garage is 4 or 6swa is it ok to run the cable on to cabin with the same size of cable

and if you have the money , a laser that does
prdbab75ad7-f942-48a5-800e-72cf29034fb3.jpg
(a snip at under £500)
Forget that, I want a laser like in the nightclubs. Those that can create a "sheet" or "tube" of laser light through fog. Its such an awesome effect. Makes people want to reach up to touch the laser light.

Then again I'll be wanting CO2 cannons next :LOL: Just buy a fire extinguisher lol

hartson you don't give enough details to work out what you need and to be honest you should be doing that yourself. Which is why I gave you link.
Volt drop, loop impedance etc will need looking at. In some cases it is quite obvious that it will comply and all we do is take readings at the end. Others were it looks as if there maybe problems we work it all out first.
We look at supply and lengths of cable and if on a short circuit enough current will flow to open the magnetic part of the trip.
Most likely what you suggest will be OK but we are not able to tell you yes or no without Ze and Zs at incomer and garage or PFC at least.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back