Power to a log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just installed a log cabin about 100 ft away at end of garden, I already have a 6mm SWA 3 core cable buried to that site and protected with RCD at main consumer unit. I need an electrician ( awaiting visits for quotes) to install a consumer unit in the cabin, 8 double sockets, 1 switched ceiling pendant and two external security lights. Obviously I will go with the advice of the attending electricians who will install and certificate for me, just wanted a thought on whether the existing cable is sufficient. The cabin will use an oil filled heater, 2 kw, tv, Xbox, lamps.... Any thoughts please..

Sponsored Links
Couple of observations:-

1) Why is there an RCD at the source?

2) You should have engaged an electrician before you started - you're now expecting someone to sign off the work you did (burying the SWA) when they have no idea whether or not you did it properly.

You need to work out voltage drop on that cable at that distance.

What's 100ft in meters?

Sponsored Links
Couple of observations:-

1) Why is there an RCD at the source?

2) You should have engaged an electrician before you started - you're now expecting someone to sign off the work you did (burying the SWA) when they have no idea whether or not you did it properly.

1) Because that supply run from the consumer nit was for a shed, the other light circuits and this supply are protected by 30 mA RCD, that's the way the new CU was wired and certified a couple of years ago.
2) My question was about load so I didn't think it necessary to advise on the history of the cable, the installation of which was certified for its original use about 5 years ago. Really not sure why you are looking to find process fault and wag a metaphoric finger over a straightforward question? Having read these forums before it does seem that some prefer to criticise rather than offer guidance......

The maximum load you will be able to draw is the size of the ocpd.... Which could be 32 or 20, depending on who fitted it....you tell us..!

The maximum load you will be able to draw is the size of the ocpd.... Which could be 32 or 20, depending on who fitted it....you tell us..!

The mcb is a Wylex B32 so presumably 32 amp, rest assured everyone, I used to be a plumber and always paid one of you guys for my electrical work and this is no different as I need it certified....just concerned that the cable will not carry sufficient load for the use I plan in the cabin.... Thanks

Really not sure why you are looking to find process fault and wag a metaphoric finger over a straightforward question? Having read these forums before it does seem that some prefer to criticise rather than offer guidance......

Not one piece of the information you provided in your second post was in the first post... The implication was that you'd built a log cabin and run a cable to it.

I was trying to help, but am more than happy not to bother...!

That cable size over that distance, and with lighting circuits is good for about 6.5kW - so more than enough for your requirements.

You really don't need the RCD at the source so would be better off getting rid of that. There's also the earthing arrangements to consider at the cabin end but your electrician will be able to advise.

He'll still need to reassure himself that the rest of the installation is sound though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back