Running SWA to log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to run some SWA to power my log cabin, just lights and 1 double socket. What thickness SWA should I use for a 50m run? Also, can I mount it on my fence instead of burying it, as it will be a huge trench to dig. The fence is wooden panels set between concrete posts and very study. If I absolutely have to bury the SWA, would you recommend I use conduit, say 25mm Polyethylene blue pipe?

I was planning to run the cable straight from my CU on a spare 16A MCB and terminate it in the cabin with a MK IP65 Garage Unit (40A 30mA RCD+1x6A 1x16A SP MCB). Would this work? More to the point would it pass Part P regs?

Finally, I have a shed behind the cabin that I want to power too, just lights + 1 double socket. Will I need another garage unit for this or I can I somehow piggyback off the log cabin unit? If so, how?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
lets see
Jonboy13 said:
I want to run some SWA to power my log cabin, just lights and 1 double socket.

(does the log cabin have a heater? sauan may be (i dont know) then you want to add
Jonboy13 said:
Finally, I have a shed behind the cabin that I want to power too, just lights + 1 double socket. Will I need another garage unit for this or I can I somehow piggyback off the log cabin unit? If so, how?

anything else? and what are you going to run from these sockets?

swa is designed to be buried, putting it in ablue water pipe will mean some kjoker will cut it in half thinking its a water pipe (trust me on this)

bury it, do it right then you only do it once

Log cabin is being used as a gym, so sockets will only power a mini hifi and an exercise bike, possibly a fan too in this weather!

The shed will run usual power tools: mitre saw, electric mower, shredder etc. But I very much doubt if I'll be using the cabin and shed at the same time.

Ok, I will bury the cable. I guess depth has to be 600mm right? That's a lot of digging for a 50m run but I guess I will only have to do it once. (That's why I was hoping I might be able to attach it to my fence which is conrete posts + panels + gravel boards. Very sturdy!)

Anyway, hope this info helps with my original questions. Thanks Breezer.

Jonboy13 said:
What thickness SWA should I use for a 50m run?
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Charts/VoltageDrop.html Select 2-core PVC, even if using 3-core, or it'll do the calculation wrong.

I was planning to run the cable straight from my CU
Good luck with that!

on a spare 16A MCB
On the non-RCD side, I hope?

and terminate it in the cabin with a MK IP65 Garage Unit
Good luck with that, too....

More to the point would it pass Part P regs?
Have you notified your LABC yet? What did they say?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info guys.

The 16A MCB on the house CU is non RCD. The RCD will be installed in the log cabin. Is this right?

Ok, going by the test it looks like 6mm SWA will be good for a 50m run.

No I have not told my LABC yet. Might give them a call tomorrow to see where I stand. I'll probably get a spark in to rig it all up, but want to do as much prep as I can first to keep the cost down.

I'm still not 100% about this trench business. A 50m trench at 600mm deep is a lot of digging. Any other thoughts about attaching the SWA to my fence? It's a very study fence, concrete posts, gravel boards. Built it myself and it's not going to blow over!

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back