Wiring a cabin

Sponsored Links
Just curious how you are running your interior cable? In a log cabin, rodents can be a real pain, so if you're running cables under the floor, take some protective measures! For some reason rats love cable.

ColJack said:
8.76VD?

that's not even down to the 230 you're supposed to start with..
and then it's +/- %10 from there ( 17th edition.. )

I've been following your posts re the above. Or rather, not following them!

What point are you making?

I guess you're saying my calculations are misleading, but I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

I think there is a bit of a mix up of the 4% rule which allows a maximum 9.2v drop for a Uo of 230v, whereas the CENELEC harmonization document currently allows a network supply of 230v +10%/-6%, (proposed 230v +/- 10% for Jan 2008.)

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
whereas the CENELEC harmonization document currently allows a network supply of 230v +10%/-6%, (proposed 230v +/- 10% for Jan 2008.)
I thought it had been put off further than that but i can't rememeber where i read it.

We are allowed to drop 4% of volts PERIOD. This is 9.2 volt at 230v - this is perfectly correct. You can therefor drop 9.2 volt between intake possition and finnal point of utilisation. It doesn't matter what the supply volts are - you have to assume 230v. We have no control over what it is, and so have to assume 230.

The only time I have ever done calcs using a higher voltage was on a huge caravan park which had three substations. The substations where privately owned, and the voltage was around 250v to allow for drops in the long distribution cables.

I was digging the trench today for the SWA cable and found an 8inch slab of concrete that extends the full width of my house and garden and extends at least 2 metres from the back of the house into the garden which is preventing me from laying the cable the requried 600mm. Any ideas on what I can do? Is there some form of acceptable trunking that can be laid ontop of the concrete slab or do I have no option but to go under it (not sure how I'll achieve this feat yet!).

I don't think breaking up a section is an option as it looks like it may be linked to the house foundations in some way and if I can't lay the cable then I've just wasted thousands on a new log cabin :(

Chris

About 3-4 inches which is currently a slabbed patio area which I was going to remove and replace with decking.

600mm is only a guideline not a requirement

personally i'd run it on the ground surface under the new decking along with some warning tape, that way anyone who lifts the decking should notice it before starting to dig.

yeah do what plugwash said..

run it "surface" under the decking ( assuming the decking is going to be at least the same height as the existing slabs..)

as soon as it clears the raft foundation then sink it in pipe for the rest of it's run..

you can run it in 4 inch pipe and put in 2 x 45's in to drop it into the ground..

thanks - I was beginning to think the house was trying to tell me something!!!

Cris

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back