Circular saw and track

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to buy a circular saw and i also need the cutting track to help you cut longer straight lengths.

Do i need to match a saw to its own track or can i buy any track ?

Sponsored Links
I believe that not all tracks/saws match but some do so you need to research.
I have an Aldi (scheppach) track saw and bought another track from Amazon.

The Amazon track fits but the anti rip sacrificial strip is too small- at some time I will fit a new wider strip.

i just use a guide and clamp to the material - BUT as a DIYer, use occasionally
I made a block, same distance from blade / plate to the mark, so i could set the guide up quickly
I had a silverline guide https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=675056 from toolstation
BUT the plastic that holds the end to the metal was very poor and broke quickly
cant find receipt, otherwise would return
andway the metal part with a couple of clamps works just as well

Sponsored Links
i just use a guide and clamp to the material - BUT as a DIYer, use occasionally
I made a block, same distance from blade / plate to the mark, so i could set the guide up quickly
I had a silverline guide https://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB/Product/ProductDetail?ModelName=675056 from toolstation
BUT the plastic that holds the end to the metal was very poor and broke quickly
cant find receipt, otherwise would return
andway the metal part with a couple of clamps works just as well
Have a look at your account on the Toolstation website - thik you find the purchase details on there.

Have a look at your account on the Toolstation website - thik you find the purchase details on there.
Thanks already checked and NOT online.
Only seems to have the items i ordered online, despite giving them my postcode and also the card. Only go back to purchases from 2020
Not quite the same as screwfix , which seem to work really well

Buy the evolution track and saw imo..

Peter millard has many saws and track reviews.

If you can justify cost buy the festool

Not all tracks are the same. For example in trade stuff whilst Mafell MT55cc saws will run on Festool or Makita rails they won't do bevel rips in the same position as Festool or Makita saws. Makita and Festool saws won't run on either deWalt or Mafell/Bosch saws but the 160/165mm plunge saws from Festool and Makita happily run on each others rails, however the 210mm Festool saw (TS75) will only run on Festool rails. And so on. Basically it's a bit of a minefield

I am watching some videos. I like the fact you can cut out worktop sinks.

I am planning on doing some MDF panelling around a room. So need to cut 1.2m, but i also might need to cut the full sheet length (2.4m).

If i am cutting 2.4m do i need a longer rail ?

I am watching some videos. I like the fact you can cut out worktop sinks.
Be aware that you will need a sharp hardpoint saw to finish into the corners

If i am cutting 2.4m do i need a longer rail ?
Not necessarily. If you are making, say, 200mm wide rips you'd need to set several tick marks at 200mm from the edge up the length of the sheet (most accurate, repeatable way is to set the distance on a combination square and use that to mark out) the make the cut in 2 or 3 stages. Done it loads of times.

Similarly if cutting narrow rips from a wide sheet, say 60mm wide - which is too narrow to sit the track.on, set your combi square to 62mm and cut the material with the rail on the main part of the material. The 2mm difference is the approximate thickness of the blade kerf, so you'll end up with a rip the about the right width give or take 0.5mm

I just use a home made guide, on the rare occasions I need one. Strip of ply, with a length of 25x50 fixed to it. Run your chosen saw along the side of the 25x50, so it trims the ply down. The edge of your ply now indicates where your saw will cut the material. You then clamp it down onto your material using a couple of G-clamps, one at each end. It will only work with one particular circular saw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back