Track saws.

@JobAndKnock

I suspect that I, like many other people set the blade depth so that it just about cuts through the sheet material. From what I have read elsewhere, I get the impression that the blade should clear by 0.25 to 0.5". In the real world, does it really matter that much?

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, the newer Festool saws have knives that retract when doing plunge cuts. I have never used any brands so I don't know if they do.
Makitas and the Bosch GKT55CE don't have a riving knife (I have the DSP600, a TS55 and a GKT55CE, so I can compare them directly). Kickback isn't a major issue on man made sheet materials providing you use the saw correctly, i.e don't run a dull blade, let the saw run up to full speed before making any cut, grip the saw firmly - 2 hands, and never stand directly behind the saw. All this is how you should use any portable saw though

With regards to accuracy - my guide rails are the older ones that only use one connecting bar when using two shorter rails. They are far from perfect. I ended up buying a single rail long enough to cut an 8ft length.
Having also started with the single connector rails, and now being on the two connector ones, I would agree. I find that when I've joined two rails if I up-end the rails and rap one end smartly on an offcut of ply or the like on the floor it tends to correct any errors.

I suspect that I, like many other people set the blade depth so that it just about cuts through the sheet material. From what I have read elsewhere, I get the impression that the blade should clear by 0.25 to 0.5". In the real world, does it really matter that much?
I just set the blade to be 1 to 2mm deeper than the material thickness. Plywood never being completely flat or uniform (really) you may need to go an extra 5mm deeper on it. I find the biggest issue is having a flat breaking down table to work on top of. My own preference is to build a couple of quick and dirty trestles (out of 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 CLS, etc) for any job I am on (900mm wide at the top, 900mm high more or less), together with an 1800 x 900 breaking down table out of 1in thick stuff (e.g. 4 x 1, 6 x 1, etc). These days I set that as an apprentice task... As this is sacrificial as I am cutting into the top edges I want my overcut to be as small as possible. My last table top, made out of 3 x 1-1/2 stuff, has just been thrown away after 2 years of intensive site use

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
I just set the blade to be 1 to 2mm deeper than the material thickness. Plywood never being completely flat or uniform (really) you may need to go an extra 5mm deeper on it. I find the biggest issue is having a flat breaking down table to work on top of. My own preference is to build a couple of quick and dirty trestles (out of 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 CLS, etc) for any job I am on (900mm wide at the top, 900mm high more or less), together with an 1800 x 900 breaking down table out of 1in thick stuff (e.g. 4 x 1, 6 x 1, etc). These days I set that as an apprentice task... As this is sacrificial as I am cutting into the top edges I want my overcut to be as small as possible. My last table top, made out of 3 x 1-1/2 stuff, has just been thrown away after 2 years of intensive site use

A lot of the time, when working at home, I often just use lengths of timber on the floor to raise the sheet up (enough to accommodate the rail clamps). Once the sheet becomes small enough, I drop in on to my plastic trestles. Far from ideal but space is a bit of a premium.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back