Circular Saw or Table Saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of setting up a workshop for woodworking, only a diy hobby type thing! I don't have huge amounts of money to spend on tools and I can't decide whether it is better to by a decent circular saw and take some time to make some jigs etc., or to buy one of the budget tables saws? I have read a few articles and most say that the table saw is really important but the cheap ones are rubbish. I guess to begin with it will be mainly used for ripping sheet goods and the odd cross cut or bevel cuts. I'm not bothered about being able to cut tenons or anything like that as I would like to learn to do this by hand first. Which ever tool I get what spec should I be looking for in terms of power etc.?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
assuming you mean a table or chopsaw

the ryobi 1525 is a good saw at the price

combination saws are a good compromise

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/kgt300-double-bevel-mitre-tabl-2
you can get a half decent one for about £250

or a flip saw mines cost around £490

heres the clark one [red] and a dewalt flip saw in both modes

although cutting sheet material is far easier with a circular saw and strait edge

as you need 20ft clear and lots of support for an 8x4ft sheet

iwaters said:
I guess to begin with it will be mainly used for ripping sheet goods and the odd cross cut or bevel cuts.

If its for sheet goods then a circular saw and straight edge will be best, the small cheap tablesaws are not large enough to handle shhet materials.

Jason

Look at the Festool TS55 and guide rail.

Then look here especially the jigs forum.

This will help with handling sheets.

Put a vacuum cleaner on the saw, and life is much cleaner than a table saw.

Sponsored Links
Have you thought about the Triton Workcentre. It's pretty accurate and if you are only doing DIY it can be folded away.

have a look on Ebay might be able to pick up a decent one for less than £150

Harry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back