A table saw/router from a circular saw and/or a jigsaw and a router?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, basically I keep coming across DIY table saw from a circular saw videos. DIY table saw from a jig saw videos and a DIY router tables.

I would like everyone's opinion on these types of videos and guides on this, do you think they are safe? surely just using a saw horse and a table saw plate would be better? same with a router, as long as it has something good to attach too, say this "Aluminium Router Table Insert Plate Table for Woodworking Benches Router Plate Wood Tools Milling Trimming Machine with Rings (Red)" (google the quoted part) would be the better option.

I am looking into getting a router table, but if I can just use my saw horses, and able to mount the plate I have shown above would be a good fit? (I am thinking of budget here more than anything) just want to know what is considered by you to be safe, and what is not safe.

Sponsored Links
So, basically I keep coming across DIY table saw from a circular saw videos. DIY table saw from a jig saw videos and a DIY router tables.

I would like everyone's opinion on these types of videos and guides on this, do you think they are safe? surely just using a saw horse and a table saw plate would be better? same with a router, as long as it has something good to attach too, say this "Aluminium Router Table Insert Plate Table for Woodworking Benches Router Plate Wood Tools Milling Trimming Machine with Rings (Red)" (google the quoted part) would be the better option.

I am looking into getting a router table, but if I can just use my saw horses, and able to mount the plate I have shown above would be a good fit? (I am thinking of budget here more than anything) just want to know what is considered by you to be safe, and what is not safe.

Horses for courses...

I have a router, but there are times that I wish that I had a router table (and not just an inverted router in a table), particularly when working with smaller stock timber, eg making beadings. At the moment, I need to use the router on wide bits of timber and then run the timber through a band saw.

I have a festool jigsaw and a base plate that allows me to use it with my festool guide rails. I have only ever used that set up once to cut plywood for a shed floor, and only because my festool plunge saw was elsewhere.

Festool do make an attachment that allows you to turn the jigsaw upside down and use it on one of their tables, but I have never seen the point. It doesn't strike me as being very accurate., That said, yeah I have to admit that there have been times when I have held the jigsaw upside down in between my and run small stock timber through it. Please never do that.

If you are talking about this

Then I would say steer clear of it. It looks really dangerous.

To begin with, the laminate trimmer seems to be clamped in, rather than screwed in. There is no way of turning the trimmer off. Sorry mate, but it is cr@p that is probably illegal to sell in the UK.

please dont think you can do routing on the cheap or any other woodwork using motors
there is so much danger you must be able to give it full attention with all guards in place
in general with work in place it should be impossible to touch a blade or tooth as there should be no gap greater than 6mm from the correct working point
no hands should go beyond the edge off the table or saw bed towards a plugged in and live router /saw table
it should in general take three things to be wrong to have any chance off an accident

Sponsored Links
Given how (relatively) cheap usable tools are these days I wouldn't bother lashing one up.
I bought a Lidl router table - think I've used it once, i could see it being useful if you needed to do loads of strips with the same cut (or set of cuts) but most of the stuff I do is one-offs so clamps and templates get me out of most holes.
Table saw- yep. Think it was £60 from Screwfix. Very handy occasionally, fortunately I have the space to keep it accessible (otherwise the setup overhead would send me straight back to circular saw and guide rails).
Both these, by the way, have proper fences and proper on/off switches (so if power fails and is then restored the machine won't restart). Very important.....

Anyone else remember all the different attachments you could get for your Black & Decker- my father was very pleased with the pillar drill stand and the circular saw kit.

So that router fixing plate is designed to into a specific general purpose power tool table. Without the correct table that plate alone to hold a router and work on would be incredibly dangerous. Even what is being demonstrated at the end of the video clip is not to be copied - if the workpiece slips or kicks back where would your fingers (or worse) go?

A router in a router table is very useful and used correctly an excellent tool but for an inexperienced or for that matter experienced body using make-do or incomplete set-up tools something very dangerous.

If you really want a router in a table may I suggest to look for one in Lidaldi - around 50 quid for table and matching router; but even then it needs fixing to a firm, substantial bench to stop it moving. I had one as my first Router table but to use it I fix it firmly to my substantial work table before using the tool. I now have another router table made from 25mm plywood - very heavy as the worktop is 900x600 (3x2 feet). I also have a dust control system* in place - something you do need to consider first. Even then some dust escapes the into the workshop.

*Dust extractor - 1; a floor 'Cyclone' Vacuum cleaner sucking from the back of the cutter, cost me nothing from 'free cycle'; 2, a 'proper' industrial dust extractor sucking the underside of the router table close to the router cutter. And finally a selection of 'dust masks' ranging from simple mouth and nose covers (find one that fits your face - there are many different makes) to a powered respirator one (my 'Daft P*nk' hat) and keep spare filters.

Skil saws (handheld circular saws) in a table are not very good - I'd say the cheapest of cheap table saws are better value.

Have a peek at Peter Millard's uToob channel for helpful suggestions, please go and spend some time going through his clips (I have no association with him apart from looking and learning - I have been around the trade for most of my life and I still learn from his channel).

This link may help your bench project.

Last edited:
Yes, I am 85% sure I don't need a router table, I am sure it can be done by hand... all I need is a tongue and grove made in about 100meters (laying flooring) of wood.

I just keep seeing these videos when doing research and I am sure that some are not safe, I mean, what if the person who makes their own uses some inferior wood like MDF, and it breaks while using it? Same goes for circler saws and jigsaw home made tables.

I saw a all in one table somewhere online for £50 that just needs the plates, that has everything one would need from a table for router, jig or circler saw.

I am not sure that making your own flooring would be cost effective. The routing is not the only part, you need to make sure that each bit of timber is equal in width and height. Additionally you need to have a reverse profile router bit, and make sure that both bits are set at the right height.

I looked at routing my own skirting board rather than buying it- at the time (4 years ago) the difference in timber cost would cover the price of the cutter but not my time and not any allowance for wastage.
You don't need a table to make T & G- that's a very easy job. Do all of each cut (eg groove ALL the boards then top tongue all the boards then bottom tongue all the boards) as a batch unless your router has very accurate and consistent depth settings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back