Circulating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating is warm upstairs and cold downstairs. Have bled all rads and have taken a look at trying to get the impellor moving again in the circulator pump but with no luck, so it looks like like my pump has finally given out after 24 years of service!

The pump in question is Grundfis UPS 15-50x18 MKII. I've priced 2 replacement pumps with the plumbers merchant, Grundfos replacement at £51 + VAT and a Wilo at £31 + VAT. 3 questions - is there any major perfomance issues between these 2 pumps, is it a DIY job?(pump can be isolated) and finally how long/cost should I expect to pay for labour ? :?:

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
A pump is only as good as the system it is installed in.

Labour.... how long is a piece of string.

1. Can the unions securing the pump to the valve be undone without sawing through them or tapping them undone once a groove has been cut in them?

2. Will the valves actually work?

3. Will valves work, but leak afterwards? (Can you re-pack glands if so)

4. Can you drain the system down and refill if valves dont work (replace valves aswell as pump?)

5. Will system actually refill when you want to fill it up? (eg Blockage in cold feed pipe to system.)

If you can get round any of the above possible problems then go for it.

Dave

Grudfoss is easy winner.
Replacing the pump in itself should be half hour max. the big question mark is draining and refilling the system if the valves don’t work. with a nasty airlock that could be as bad as half a day.
Don’t forget the inhibitor

Sponsored Links
Replacing the pump in itself should be half hour max.

lol I shall remember that the next time I'm contorting myself round the back of a cylinder cutting the valves off with a junior hacksaw ;)

Thanks for the guidance, will probably go for the Grundfos based on advice. Inhibitor? Explain please

Inhibitor, sussed. Pump location is very accessible and have got a plumber coming tomorrow to fit. Thx again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back