Circulation pump replacement questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of questions that I would like help with please,
My circulation pump has failed, it failed to kick in one morning causing the boiler to wake me up!
I cant manage to open the pump bleed screw to see what has happened, (tried turning in the direction of the arrow) but it wont budge. so I have bought a replacement "Wilo gold 50" my original pump just says "Wilo Gold" {pictured}

#1 is the "Gold 50" a viable replacement pump for the "Gold" - 2 bed semi with 6 rads.
#2 before I attempt the swap out (going to drain system first) which direction do I need to turn the large 1 1/2" pump valve nuts to loosen the pump?
#3 My airing cupboard where this pump is situated has a wooden batten accross the opening about a third of the way up, it forms a shelf support and is in my way so I want to remove it, before I do is is this batten a requirement or just to stop you climbing in?

Sponsored Links
(2) the sort of valves you have got, have a round ball inside with a hole in it. note the slot in the screw heads is in line with the pipe. this means "open". give them a quarter turn so the slot is crossways, it should then be shut. these ball valves are not very reliable, if yours are jammed or leak, buy a pair of brass gate pump valves, these are better and about £5 each. observe if the pipe is 22mm or 28mm so you get the right size.

3) don't understand. post another pic.

p.s. the arrow shows motor rotation direction. you unscrew the screw anticlockwise, same as any screw. use a very wide screwdriver to fit the slot. there will be a spindle behind it, see if this will turn with a medium-sized screwdriver. if the pump is jammed with sediment, give the system a clean with Sentinel X400 or X800 then flush thoroughly. if you have a lot of sediment it will wear out the new pump too. if you can afford £100, fit a Magnaclean and I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted at how much black sediment it traps.

these ball valves are not very reliable, if yours are jammed or leak, buy a pair of brass gate pump valves, these are better and about £5 each. observe if the pipe is 22mm or 28mm so you get the right size.

Personally I'd fit new pump valves, if the system is to be drained anyway. It's much easier to undo the 22mm nuts than the pump nuts which may be rusted on by now.

Sponsored Links
I don't think the batten does anything important. Perhaps it is for attaching a cover panel to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back