Replacement for Wilo Gold RS50 Circulating Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I think my pump is faulty as sometimes when I turn up the heating the pump doesn't kick in, definitely getting more frequent and the misses is complaining. After turning up the heating this morning, I noticed the radiators weren't getting warm. When I went into the airing cupboard I could hear the pump very faintly whirring. I tapped it a few times with a screwdriver and then a moment later it kicked into life.

The Pump is about 13 years old, so hopefully, the diagnosis of it being faulty is correct on this one, but please let me know if you think I should investigate other areas. I've already checked for air in the radiators and they are clear.

So when looking for a replacement pump I first went wilo website but on entering the pump name I had no hits. However when I entered GOLD 50 I did, so not sure if the GOLD RS50 is the same pump or not.

https://wilo.com/gb/en/Wilo-Services/Analysis-design-and-selection/Heating-replacement-guide/

If it is the same pump it recommends two options and I have chosen the one below as a direct swappable replacement:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wilo-stratos-pico-25-1-6-130-glandless-circulating-pump/3019x

Any help on this one would be appreciated before I make the purchase.

Many Thanks
Stephen

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks Ian, was looking for as like for like if possible to aid a DIYer swap over.

I spent a bit of time observing the issue with the heating not kicking in yesterday and realised the problem appears to be with the SUNVIC SZM1801 - 2 PORT ACTUATOR. This is situated next to the pump and it is that which once knocked actually makes the heating come on. I replaced this once before as the previous device became noisy, and now this one looks to have just become faulty.

I've ordered a replacement from plumbnation, hopefully come early next week, as heating is no longer coming on at all now unless I knock the actuator. It was actually the actuator causing the whirring sounds, not the pump as I first thought. It's stuck trying to turn the heating on I guess, I assume the gearing has gone faulty within it, and the knock is enough to kick it into life.

Last edited:
make sure you order the same one, that actuator is what is called a motor open , motor return, which has different wiring to the more common motor open spring return valves, the diy point you make about your pump for future reference , any 130 pump will fit, 130mm is the length of the pump body and all the threads and wiring are universal

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
make sure you order the same one, that actuator is what is called a motor open , motor return, which has different wiring to the more common motor open spring return valves
You can fit a spring return valve as the wiring is exactly the same. The Sunvic contains three microswitches to make it work. Look at the wiring diagram in the pic!

Hello,
I have the same problem with Wilo Gold RS50 Circulating Pump. I need it replaced and I would be very grateful for someone's advise if I can replace the Wilo Gold RS50 Circulating Pump with a New Model” GRUNDFOS UPS3 15-50/65 Pump. Many thanks.

yes you can but you shouldnt be hijacking old posts, it is against site rules for good reason

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Thanks, very sorry about this.
No need to be sorry, you are new to the site so probably dont know your way around yet,the reason for not tagging on to old posts is too much different information is posted and gets really confusing when trying to help someone out

Is there a difference between the heads of 50 and 60, as in 5m and 6m?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back